Just sick about it!

Yay Chicks!

Songster
9 Years
Apr 15, 2010
Forest Grove, OR
We have a guy that comes out to mow and edge once a week. He charges us almost nothing...kind of a friend and family rate. I wasn't home today and got a call that this week, instead of edging, he sprayed the dandelions. We had the discussion at the beginning that we did not want fertilizer or other sprays. Sure, our yard is messier, but the chickens are so happy to be fed dandelion greens. And, although I don't tell other people what to do with their property, I've always kept mine spray free as that is congruent with my values. The girls were relatively safe in their run today, but I'm concerned about overspray etc. Anyone know the half life of some of this stuff? When those areas might be safe again? Thanks.
he.gif

You should check on exactly what they used, but the active time on those sorts of sprays are pretty short. Like 24-48 hours, but find out for sure what he used!!! Then go buy or make a stencil and make your own signs and put them out on the verge that say NO SPRAY or PLEASE NO SPRAY, or something like that. Then post them all along your property!

I did and do spray some nasty stuff against poison ivy but I'm very careful where and how I spray it. That is only supposed to be dangerous for specifically poison ivy and is only topically active for 24 hours, but I'm real scared of it too. The only thing that's good about it is that the chickens avoid the ivy too and don't seem at all interested in eating it. Unfortunately they DO eat dandelions, so yeah, I'd be more worried about that!

DO find out specifically what he used though and research it!!! Just because what I use has a short active time doesn't mean that is the same! especially since what he sprayed is attractive to chickens.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom