Just so bummed about having too many cockerels and too few pullets

backyardigans

In the Brooder
11 Years
Oct 24, 2008
Santa Barbara, CA
Hear me out, I'm just so bummed.

I ordered 10 chicks from Ideal. To my horror, I received 22 chicks -- they had put in 12 extra standard sized males as packing peanuts. After a while, I finally found a new owner for these 12 males on craigslist. I can't have roosters, I have just a regular city backyard and I already have 4 wonderful chickens there.

Now I had 10 bantams left and my kids loved them and started bonding with them. Now they are 6 weeks old and I've been posting pics of them here and asking about their gender. It turns out that I have 7 cockerels and 3 pullets!

So basically I have been feeding and housing 19 cockerels so that I can eventually have 3 pullets! So far they've eaten 100 pounds of starter and caused a lot of extra work. I am just so sad and bummed that after all this work I'll only have 3 girls. I don't think I'm going to buy any more bantam chicks ever unless they can somehow send me certified females.

PS. Anyone need any cockerels in Central Coast of California?

columbiacritter

Songster
11 Years
Jun 7, 2008
Scappoose Oregon
The only place that sexes bantams is My Pet Chicken and you pay about $10 more per bird for that service.

It's a roll of the dice when you get straight run, but most of the time you run about 50/50.

backyardigans

In the Brooder
11 Years
Oct 24, 2008
Santa Barbara, CA
I didn't order from them because I wanted Modern Game and they don't sell any... but I'd be glad to pay that extra $10 just to get girls. Feeding a big bunch of boys gets expensive.

Top Bottom