Just sold a bunch....

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by magikchick, Jan 5, 2009.

1. magikchick

magikchick ~FEATHERFOOTED DIVA~

Apr 21, 2007
    SW Florida
    It was time to cut back on my flock. I needed to sell some to make room for my next breeding. I took a posting out in the local shopping guide and within the weekend I sold everything I wanted too. I couldn't get over how much response I got to the posting.

Chickens have become very popular and people are getting back to their roots. So if your not sure what to do with your extras try posting in you local shopper. Worked really well for me.

2. davidb

davidb Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2008
    north east Georgia
    Thanks for the goog Idea

3. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    Good to hear you got it handled, we are lucky enough to have a poultry auction sale near here once a month. that is where I send my extras. I have been using the paper though as an outlet for my eggs and yea that is working out well.

AL

4. cluckychick

cluckychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2008
    South of KCMO
    We also have an auction nearby where we take our extras as well. Between Craigslist and the auction I usually don't have a problem getting rid of mine either. Congratulations on your sales [​IMG]

5. OPIE

OPIE Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2008
    Freeman Mo.
    Hey cluckychick ,where is that sale? I live south of KCMO also and would like to find one. They used to have them around Louisburg, but that quit along time ago and I havent seen one since.

Olso, I have seen alot of little sheds goin up out back of alot of NICE fancy houses around here. You know the kinda sheds, with little caged in areas off one end [​IMG] . This economy has people thinkin about doin for themselves.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2009
  6. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Great idea. I have posted on my local Craigslist and Simplead.com

7. Sunny Side Up

Sunny Side Up Count your many blessings...

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    Where are you in SW Fla? I'm in western West Palm Beach, near Lion Country Safari. Do you mind saying how much you were asking, and for what kinds/ages of chickens?

I've tried selling extra chickens by posting notices on bulletin boards at the feed stores & grocery stores and haven't had a whole lot of success. But I was surprised to see the great interest in buying adult chickens at our county's fair last year, folks were selling layers for $20. My kids didn't want to sell any of the birds we were showing last year, but this summer I ordered a batch of chicks with the intention of showing & selling them at this year's Fair in Jan. I told the kids "don't name them, don't get attatched, we won't sell them while they're fuzzy & cute, but will try to sell them at the Fair". Wish us success, I hope to come home with $$$ and no leftover chickens!

8. magikchick

magikchick ~FEATHERFOOTED DIVA~

Apr 21, 2007
    SW Florida
    I got $10 for my hens and $5 for 12 week old chicks. If I was showing them I would ask more.

We have a small animal auction here but I would rather meet the people who are buying my stock. I get attached to them and like to kown where they are going.

I had a few people that just wanted pets and are keeping in touch to let me know how they are doing.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by