Just some chick questions :)

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Tylah_T, Jan 1, 2011.

1. Tylah_T

Tylah_T New Egg

Jan 1, 2011
    Well, I'm new to this site/forums...just joined like 10 minutes ago haha. I've always liked chickens and wanted to have some of my own. Yesterday I started doing some research online and looking at online hatcheries...when I saw some of the pics of the baby chicks, I knew I had to have some & soon!!! [​IMG] I live in the city, but we have a fairly decent sized backyard. In the backyard there's a old shed that has two rooms in it...our landlord told us we could do whatever we wanted with it and since we are planning on living here for at least 2 more years, I've decided that I wanted to turn one of the rooms into a small chicken coop and add a small runner outside the door for the chickens. I wanted to turn the other room of the shed into a "brooding" room...building brooders in there for baby chicks to live in until they could go into the coop. I only want to start out with a small number of chicks and then as time goes by build another coop and add more chickens...selling some/keeping some to breed. Sorry lol, I'm dragging on...anyways the main purpose of this post was to ask a few questions:

1.) Does anybody have any suggestions on books that include info on building brooders, raising baby chicks, good breeds to raise, how to breed, hatching eggs, how to sell etc?
    2.) Would the baby chicks I buy be able to survive outside in my "brooding" room during spring time when I get them?
    3.) How old do the chickens have to be until they are able to be sold? (I'm not expecting to make a lot of money...just wanting to sell some so I don't get a large number)

Thanks for any help [​IMG] Sorry for such a long, drug out post

2. boykin2010

boykin2010 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2010
    South Georgia
    1. all the info you need is on byc or other interent sites.
    2. yes the chicks should be fine as long as they have adequate heat when it gets cold.
    3. they can be any age when you sell them. if you sell adults about 22 weeks is when i consider most adults. adults sell for more. you can sell day old hatched chicks as long as the new owner has some place for the chicks to stay warm. but u can sell them to the people at 6 weeks then you dont have to worry about extra heat

3. Tylah_T

Tylah_T New Egg

Jan 1, 2011
    Quote:Thanks!! I Don't know why I haven't browsed this site [​IMG]

4. KimberlyJ

KimberlyJ Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2010
    [​IMG] it's always great to see another person interested in Backyard Chickens!

Just keep doing what you're doing....reading and asking questions and you'll get it all figured out. The post before mine answered all your questions, but there is one important thing you are missing so far. A little thing called "City Ordinances". If you are in a city you've got them. And maybe property owner association rules too. So do a little reseach and find out what those are for your area BEFORE you decide on chickens. There's a section here called "Local Chicken Laws & Ordinances, and how to change them". It will help you get started.

5. Tylah_T

Tylah_T New Egg

Jan 1, 2011
    Quote:Okay I will be sure to look into that, before I buy any chicks...thanks! I didn't even think to check on that

6. KimberlyJ

KimberlyJ Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2010
    And that's why you are here! [​IMG] I was an experienced avain owner before I decided to venture into chickens....and I have learned TONS from here in just six months. I can learn from other people's mistakes instead of making them all myself. AND it stops alot of arguments between my husband and me before they even get started.

7. BarredBuff

BarredBuff Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2009
    Quote:First, [​IMG]

1. BYC has a wealth of information on the subjest.
    2. My Birds did good on the screened in porch back in May
    3. Just depends but I would wait until 16 weeks old.

8. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Quote:First, [​IMG]. Great step to take on New Year's Day! I have NEVER regretted joining BYC. Too bad I started into the whole chicken thing before I did so, however. Luckily, i've managed to fix the dumb things I did. [​IMG]

1. Go to the BYC store here, and pick up both Dummies books, the Raising Chickens one and the Building Coops one. Also look into Amazon.com for "Storey's Guide to Raising Poultry."

2. Yes, as long as you control the temperature for them,according to their age and recommendations.

3. You could sell day old chicks, or 12 week old chicks, or started pullets. It all depends on how you market/sell them.

Plan for adding to your flock.... It just happens. Trust me.

Do meander all over BYC and follow threads that interest you. You will be amazed at the number of really helpful people here!

Last edited: Jan 1, 2011
  9. annaraven

annaraven Born this way

Apr 15, 2010
    SillyCon Valley
    I second the recommendation for Dummies books. Really good stuff there.

Once you've checked your local ordinances, that'll affect your other decisions. If you get unsexed chicks, you could end up with roos, but possibly only okay until first crow. If you get eggs to hatch in an incubator, you've got the same problem.

Take a look around -and please ask questions. Everyone here has been really nice and helpful to me (a fellow newbie).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by