Just some generally advice

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by leahshannon93, Jan 18, 2014.

1. leahshannon93

leahshannon93 New Egg

Jul 8, 2013
    Hi all, I posted not long back about my duck with the neck problem, we may be having to put her to sleep tomorrow by the person we bought her off. She kept putting her head under her belly and some people said to take her to the vet as she may die any time soon well she's had it for a number of weeks now and hasn't been found dead yet but we don't want to continue carrying her everywhere as she can't keep up with the others. We're currently keeping them in, it's driving them crazy but if we let them out she gets stressed as she couldn't keep up with them, we tried ringing different kinds of people for help vets, farms etc and none of them had an answer for us or didn't deal with ducks so wouldn't know what to do, we didn't want to take her to a vet too far away as again that would of stressed her out which could lead her to die as she was a very stressful bird when we bought her, scared of practically everything. It's a shame we don't know what's caused this, if it was worms or a bug she'd of been dead by now, we thought a rat had bitten her but again we thought if that was the case she'd probably be dead by now, so we've had to make the difficult discussion but it's cruel to see her like this as she goes off balance and falls/stumbles everywhere and she's also lost a lot of weight as she isn't eating, I mean how can she with her head under her belly.. If she did eat she may get it stuck in her throat but just some general advice as to if your duck/chicken starts doing this if possible take it to a vet or farmer who knows ducks so you can get something for it or they may say to pull the plug but at least their truthful, it's better than the weight dropping off them and them falling all over the place.. We will indeed miss her though but to us it seems like the right thing to do

2. fried green eggs

fried green eggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    S.E. Michigan
    I'm sorry this has happened to your duck and I understand it is heart breaking when you don't know how to help them. If it was a injury and it was going to recover, it would have by now. Sometimes even when we know what is wrong and we do all the right steps to help - it's still doesn't work and the best thing for the animal is to put it down. [​IMG]

3. leahshannon93

leahshannon93 New Egg

Jul 8, 2013
    Thank youu, It is indeed difficult but it's the right thing to do as it's horrible to see her suffering.. I mean we got told she may have worms so we wormed them all and she was still doing it a week after we'd finished worming them so yes even if the problem can be named it doesn't mean it can be overcome which is a shame as she's so pretty, we've noticed she has a lot of white feathers coming in which is meant to happen either the first or second year of laying but she only started getting them when she had her neck problem.. It's worse more as when we had her she looked disgusting as she was getting picked on for being broody with the other ducks eggs so she had feathers missing and they constantly looked like we'd tipped oil on them she was cleaning herself a lot, then malted and got her shiny new feathers back and now this happens to her but these things happen I suppose, I think it'll just be nice to finally say that she won't have to suffer or feel hungry anymore

4. fried green eggs

fried green eggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    S.E. Michigan
    You are doing the right thing for your little duck. [​IMG]But, it's still hard.

5. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    You need to do what you know is right. But I feel I must ask - did you take the nutritional approach and try niacin? It can help neurological problems sometimes, several people have used it and seen improvement within a week - often with ducklings, but I would not feel right if I did not share the thought with you. Not false hope, but information.

6. leahshannon93

leahshannon93 New Egg

Jul 8, 2013
    See now I thought it was a neurological problem to start with as I know if horses have it they normally sometimes collapse and then get back up acting like nothing's happened, we also thought she may of had a stroke but I doubt that would happen every few minutes but her eye lids are closing over her eyes which is good in a way as she's having the sense to protect her eyes from getting damaged but do you have any idea where I could get that stuff from as we having taken her up there yet so it may be worth giving it ago

7. leahshannon93

leahshannon93 New Egg

Jul 8, 2013
    I meant to say we haven't taken her yet

8. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Most grocery stores that have a pharmacy or drug stores carry niacin get the plain and most likely you'll ave to ask for it for some reason they keep it behind the counter and it is in- expensive too. start with 250 megs in her water crushed it up real good before adding it to her drinking water. also super b complex along with it. I'd say it's dif worth giving her a try. Please keep us updated. [​IMG] we start ducklings at 100megs but being she is an adult I'd say start at 250 just to get it into her at a higher dose especially since she has had this for a while.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2014
  9. leahshannon93

leahshannon93 New Egg

Jul 8, 2013
    Okay I'll definitely have to give it a try, thank youu! of course I'll keep you all updated on her situation and we shall see whether it can solve or even just help her problem a bit more:)

10. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I hope it helps, are you helping her eat and drink?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by