Just something I noticed

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by LilyD, Jun 26, 2011.

1. LilyD

LilyD Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2011
    Bristol, VT
    My incubator ran at 100 degrees for my whole hatching without any issue but I set my brooder up in the same room with it once the chicks started to hatch and had my first spike of 101 due to the light heating the brooder. With the door closed to stop drafts from getting in it made it too hot in the room which raised the incubator temp. I moved the brooder today (with all 5 chicks in it) and the temp for the incubator went right back down to 100 with no issues at all.

I am thinking that running any type of light can cause the temp in the incubator to rise so from now on I am not turning the lights on in the room just running on good old sunshine from the one window in that room.

2. jfulcher

jfulcher Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2011
    Tucson, AZ 85712
    good idea [​IMG] wat type of bator u using? brand?

3. NYRIR

NYRIR Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2010
    Petersburg,NY
    My bator is in a room without a light now as well...that could have contributed last time too....can't believe I didn't think of that [​IMG]

4. LilyD

Jan 24, 2011
    Bristol, VT
    Its an LG 10200 forced air with an egg turner. Right now I am getting it set for another batch of eggs but I plugged it in after moving the brooder and it was right at 100 with no variation at all as long as there were no lights on. With the light in the room on it would spike to 101 unless I used a fluorescent light instead.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2011
  5. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    My LG pretty much stays at 100 degrees too.

6. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    One thing I keep preaching is that the room temp is just as important as everything else. Not to mention that a temp of 100-101 is not a bad thing.

The recent issue of Back Yard Poultry mentions temp as having something to do with the sex of the chicks. Did you know it's the hen who determines the sex of the chicks and not the rooster? Interesting read.

Hope all your hatches are good ones,

Ranhcer

7. LilyD

Jan 24, 2011
    Bristol, VT
    Yeah that is what makes hatching this time of year kind of tricky because it's getting warmer during the day so you might need to actually pay more attention to the temp in the incubator if the room gets too hot. I put closed curtains on the window in the room I am hatching in and the temp stays pretty constant at 65 (not sure how the rest of the house is 80 lol) but definitely paying attention to the temperature is a good thing.

8. NYRIR

May 13, 2010
    Petersburg,NY
    Quote:Rancher....do elaborate on this! Is it kinda like the Crocs that if it's warmer it's one sex and cooler it's the other?

9. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    NYRIR,

I'd have to pull out the magazine and retype the paragraph. That's alot of work. I may do it tomorrow after I find it and take a break.

Rancher

10. NYRIR

May 13, 2010
    Petersburg,NY
    Quote:[​IMG] [​IMG] Thanks...I find that VERY interesting [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by