Just spotted my first future predator!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by LDberlinn, Dec 22, 2011.

1. LDberlinn

LDberlinn Out Of The Brooder

Dec 9, 2011
    Ahhhh! A Raccoon [​IMG] eek!

I've yet to start up my coop project however I know now that I'll be raccoon proofing to the max!

Any good raccoon-proof coop tips? [​IMG] I'll be doing everything to keep that guy away! [​IMG]

2. KandiandJerry

KandiandJerry Chillin' With My Peeps

they are pretty tough predators but do not use chicken wire because they do chew through it use the cloth wire and also if you are going to use any live traps the best thing I found that works for me is marshmellows. they work. and also I am a racoon hunter with top of the line coon dogs and I use that to catch them and train my dogs with

3. eggboy

eggboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2010
    CA
    I recommend trapping or hunting the Raccoons, yes there is likely more than one. If you do not get rid of the local coons you risk forgetting to lock up your chickens some night and the coons will come kill them.

4. GoChick

GoChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2010
    After I chose the site to build my second coop, but before we started to build it, I put a trailcam there for a few weeks, to see what was lurking around at night...

I found out the place I chose could be called Predator Hwy. I got pics of raccoons, fox, opossum, and coyotes. One pic had 4 raccoons!!

So, we built a very safe coop, with a run completely covered in 1/4 inch hardwire cloth, with a 2 ft apron. Even the top of the run is completely covered. Then we fenced the free range area with electrified poultry net. So far, we haven't lost any birds. Pretty expensive, though... But it was either building it this way, or continuously losing birds to predators.

5. LDberlinn

LDberlinn Out Of The Brooder

Dec 9, 2011
    Quote:Thanks! At least I know there is a way to keep both chickens and wildlife alive [​IMG] I appreciate all of the posts in response too however a no-kill method will be my approach!

What about latches on either the coop door or the run door? Should I go for an actual lock and key (or code)??

6. harveyhorses

harveyhorses Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2010
    I have hot wire around my whole run, the gate has two strands, one about 4 inches off the ground the second about 3 ft up, top covered. I can only let mine out when under supervision. Since then, so far so good. The rest of the run has three strands. (it has varied with tree limbs coming down) It is over chain link and hardware cloth.

7. BlazeJester

BlazeJester Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2011
    Midway, GA
    Hardware cloth. They WILL eat a chicken through chicken wire, or anything else that has holes big enough for a coon hand and part of a chicken to get through.

8. Mattemma

Mattemma Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    Never use chicken wire or staples. Keep a trap set 24/7

9. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    Yes, make the run raccoon proof. However, it is too early to panic. There are lots of predators who live in areas with livestock that never bother the livestock. Not every raccoon will go after your chickens.

Best be prepared ahead of time, in case one of your local raccoons is a chicken thief, but not all of them are.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by