1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Just started clucking - how old?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by annecros, May 11, 2009.

1. annecros

annecros Out Of The Brooder

May 11, 2009
    Southeast Florida, USA
    Long time lurker, first time poster.

Well, we got our three lovely BO pullets about 10 days ago. We bought them from a guy that gets day olds, starts them and then sells them. He wasn't exactly sure how old they were - but he said they were old enough to start taking layer.

They were fully feathered, but still peeping like chicks when we first got them. Still a bit dinosaury around the head. The heaviest hen just started making mature clucks yesterday, and has quite a nice voice. Another is trying to cluck, but hasn't found the right register yet.

Their beaks and their combs are coloring up nicely, but that may be the (vastly improved) diet that they have been on since we got them.

I love, love, love them! I don't know why I've never kept at least a couple of laying hens before now! They are so easy to keep.

My question: about how old would they be? How long until I can start to expect an egg or two? They check out the nest boxes, but don't seem particularly fascinated with them. They would rather eat meal worms.

2. annecros

annecros Out Of The Brooder

May 11, 2009
    Southeast Florida, USA
    OK, I am going to try to post an image of them when we got them, about 10 days ago.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by