Just started incubating duck eggs yesterday, when should I first candle them to check for developmen

TheMallardMan

Chirping
5 Years
Sep 29, 2014
North Carolina, US
Also, any tips would be appreciated :D

You should candle them at 7 days to check for fertility. You will definitely see veining by then. I always keep eggs in until day 10 though, just to be sure I don't toss any good eggs. Then again, I'm kind of paranoid. ;)

I dry incubate my duck eggs... no water till day 18 and that works where I live.. about 35 % humidity. The first time I tried ducks I put in way too much water. Good luck!!

I dry incubate my duck eggs... no water till day 18 and that works where I live.. about 35 % humidity.  The first time I tried ducks I put in way too much water.   Good luck!!

Oh, the article I read on duck eggs said to start them off on 55% humidity and 99.5°. I haven't candled them yet and its been about 3 days, do you think they're still alright?

Oh, the article I read on duck eggs said to start them off on 55% humidity and 99.5°. I haven't candled them yet and its been about 3 days, do you think they're still alright?
Humidity has a cumulative effect so they should be fine. 55% was way too high for my duck eggs and they grew so big they could not maneuver to hatch... then I found this site and found many people using much much lower humidity and having better hatches and it has worked for me.

Humidity has a cumulative effect so they should be fine.  55% was way too high for my duck eggs and they grew so big they could not maneuver to hatch...  then I found this site and found many people using much much lower humidity and having better hatches and it has worked for me.

Ok, thanks for the tip, I may drop it down to 40%ish or so :)

Back
Top Bottom