just started laying than suddenly stopped.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by llandry, Sep 26, 2012.

1. llandry

llandry Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2012
    jersey shore, nj
    I have a 5 1/2 month old BO who just started laying a few weeks ago. I have a BR the same age who hasn't yet and a 10 wk old RIR and a 10 wk old Polish. I had asked advice when my BO started to lay about food because of the age difference. I followed the advice and have kept all four chickens on grower and supplement on oyster shells (which they show little interest in).

That's the background info and here's the question.........

The first egg was huge and she laid a small egg every day for the next week and a half. For the next three days she laid a shell-less egg each day. Not an egg with a leathery shell like i read on another post. They looked like i cracked it open on the ground.

I fed her some egg shells which i baked and now she hasn't laid an egg since the shell-less ones. It's been about a week.

Is this normal or is there something i should be supplementing her diet with?
    Any advice would be great.

2. Den in Penn

Den in Penn Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2011
    SE Pa.
    For pullets a week without laying can happen. I does sound as if she has a calcium deficit. Since she has not laid since you gave her the egg shell you won't know if they worked until she lays again. Best advise is to relax and wait.

3. llandry

May 8, 2012
    jersey shore, nj
    Thanks for the response!

I woke this morning to an egg in the nesting box so hopefully it is just as you said. Should i feed some egg shells daily or is that too much?

I'm more concerned that they're healthy than producing eggs every day.

4. llandry

May 8, 2012
    jersey shore, nj
    It was a normal egg by the way :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by