Just started laying

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by NeeCee51, Jan 2, 2015.

1. NeeCee51

NeeCee51 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2013
    My light Sussex hens, I have 3, just started laying and I am wondering if it is normal for a hen to lay one day and skip a day. One day I get three eggs then the next day I get two. When they first start laying can they stop and go or is it because not all three of them are laying? Also one of them clucks so loud after saying an egg the Rooster starts in and they both make very loud clucking noises. I think she gets the Rooster so shook up he comes running to her side. Kind of funny..Thanks

2. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member Project Manager

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    This is normal. Usually they lay later each day til too late to lay - skip that day and lay early the next. But not all breeds lay nearly every day.

3. NeeCee51

NeeCee51 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2013
    Thanks so much. I thought it might be something like that but since I'm new at this I worry about everything..

4. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member Project Manager

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    I have had my girls for almost 2 years, and still worry too much. It's because we love our chickens.

5. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    What you don't know, you don't know.... until you do know :D

Some birds will lay every day and some will not....can depend on breed or not.

Tho most production birds.....leghorns, any of the sex linked hybrids...will lay every day.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by