Just started on the new coop!!! :D *pics*

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Tanichca, Nov 22, 2011.

1. Tanichca

Tanichca Sparkle Magnet

May 6, 2009
    Vail, Arizona
    Well, in the past three days our flock has grown in number from 8 to 22 (those darn raffles and shows and free chicks [​IMG] ) making it necessary to *finally* build the bantam coop!
    We started with the old sheep pen (aprox. 6 feet high, 10 feet wide, 10 feet long,) which has been pretty messed up by the weather and by the late sheep. Here is the "Before" pic:
    [​IMG]

We (Noah, Isabel, and I) moved out the feed trough, the rocks, the bowls, the sticks, the trash, and all the other stuff that was in there. Then, we raked.
    [​IMG]

Well, after we raked, we sat and talked a bit. I walked out to the woodpile and took stock of our planks and plywood (we have a lot, cause our dad builds a lot!) I also looked at our chicken wire (we have a few metric boatloads) and our cinderblocks (not so many of those, but we can get more for free from our Grandpa.)

The plan is to build a foot high retaining wall all around, and then enclose the back shelter and make that the "coop." We'll put a roof made of hardware cloth on the whole thing, patch up the chicken wire where it's broken, spread some sand, and we should have this done in about two weeks!

I'll keep updating as we go. [​IMG]

2. GoldenSparrow

GoldenSparrow Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    [​IMG]

3. mshuey1

mshuey1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2011
    San Antonio
    Sounds Good;)

4. Tanichca

Tanichca Sparkle Magnet

May 6, 2009
    Vail, Arizona
    Finishing it today with dad... Or at least finishing all the walls and most of the wire. [​IMG]

5. Tanichca

Tanichca Sparkle Magnet

May 6, 2009
    Vail, Arizona
    Walls up! Couldnt get to the wire.. had a party to go to. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Me working on one of the walls:
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by