Just started raising chicks 3 days ago and so far so good :)

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by chickadee43773, Mar 3, 2014.

1. chickadee43773

chickadee43773 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 3, 2014
    Guernsey County, Ohio
    Hi everyone! I've been peeking at this site for awhile now and just decided to join today. Everyone here seems so friendly and helpful.

This is my first adventure in raising animals. Well I mean I have had dogs and cats. We recently moved to a large farm that has not been ran since the 1970's. There are still a lot of building on the land but someone them are not suitable for habitat.

Three days ago I purchased 16 chicks and 2 keets. 3 chicks are Americunas (sp?) pullets and 3 are Wyandotte either silver or golden laced pullets. The other 10 are mixed straight run. We are unsure what type the 2 keets (Guineas) are supposed to be.

When we first brought them home we placed them in a large tote and had newspaper on the floor with corn cob bedding on top of it. We placed sav-a-chick probiotic in their water and gave them chick starter/grower feed.

The next morning we started working on building them a larger brooder. We now have them in a 3 1/2 x 3 1/2 wooden pen. I'm not sure how long we can keep them in that without needing more space so we have talked about adding on to it to make it larger for the chicks.

We have been trying to spend a little time each day with every bird that way they can get used to us and to being picked up. I can't believe how loud the Guineas are and they aren't even that big yet!

So I just wanted to tell everyone a little about our new adventure and say hello!

2. CarolinaHen

CarolinaHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2013
    South Carolina
    Congrats on your new babies! [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  3. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! Good luck and have fun with the new chicks and keets!

1 person likes this.
  4. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

Enjoy your new babies and welcome to BYC!

1 person likes this.
  5. gander007

gander007 Chicken Obsessed

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  6. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Welcome to BYC - good luck with your chicks and keets.

1 person likes this.
  7. SethRiddle

SethRiddle Out Of The Brooder

Aug 5, 2013
    Raytown, Missorui
    Welcome!

1 person likes this.
  8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    guineas are loud and first to sound the alarm if they think something is amiss.

9. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  10. mowremo

mowremo Out Of The Brooder

Feb 24, 2014
    Louisville, Kentucky
    I grew up with chickens and two Guineas! They will be great on your new/old farm! They'll alert you to anything strange! Ours used to chase away neighbor dogs and foxes!! Congrats!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by