Just started the incubator!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ScotianChick, Jan 25, 2011.

1. ScotianChick

ScotianChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2010
    My husband made an incubator about 5 years ago and hatched one chick out of five. The others had actually fully developed but could not get out of the shell as he did not provide enough humidity (not enough water in the containers). Our incubator is made out of an old fish storage box, just a small one, with a glass top duct taped on haha. Also with a light bulb and themostat! So I put in 7 SLW eggs which will turn out to be red sex links. I am afraid some might have sat too long, I don't know. I kept them in an area that did not get too cold but not too warm and some I've had about 8 days. I have one egg from today. Tomorrow morning if there are any eggs, I might pop those in too. They'd only be 12 hours apart. So wish me luck! I would love to have some red sex links or cinnamon queens, whatever you call them! [​IMG]

2. 20123001

20123001 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2011
    Delavan, Wi
    Good luck! Whoop![​IMG]

3. 14 chickens & counting

14 chickens & counting Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2011
    Buena Vista, GA
    Good Luck! I've got my 1st hatch in the incubator now!

4. tnfarmeggs

tnfarmeggs Out Of The Brooder

Jan 24, 2011
    Middle Tennessee
    My first batch are going into the incubator tonight, and it's our first homemade incubator [​IMG]

5. ScotianChick

ScotianChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2010
    That's great! We should have our own little thread! Do you think mine will be okay? I think they've been at around 10 - 15 degrees C the past few days of being out. I stored them pointy end down. I put a very bright light behind them and could see through some and not others. At least tomorrow I'll be assured that I'll get at least one fresh egg!

6. tnfarmeggs

tnfarmeggs Out Of The Brooder

Jan 24, 2011
    Middle Tennessee
    I get about 12-15 eggs daily so I have fresh eggs to put in mine, but if I can't get my humidity up on it I won't be able to use yet. Have my temp. good but my humidity is only at 25-30%

Any idea how to get it up higher? I have a glass dish with water and a sponge in it. Will try to get a picture to post of it.

7. abritton77

abritton77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 9, 2011
    Broken Bow
    Put my first batch in my home made incubator on Sunday. Don't really need any more chicken's, but maybe I can sell them or give them away. Really wanted my 4 year old boy to see the miracle of life and I have always wanted to hatch eggs for some reason.

8. 14 chickens & counting

14 chickens & counting Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2011
    Buena Vista, GA
    Quote:I can't wait for my 11yr old and 8yr old to REALLY see what happens...I wouldn't mind having a few more chickens and like you said, I can always give'em or sell'em![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by