Just starting...any suggestions on cold weather hardy breeds?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by LadySwan517, May 9, 2008.

1. LadySwan517

LadySwan517 New Egg

May 9, 2008
    I live in Michigan were winters a long and cold. My fab hubby has decided we should raise chickens for eggs. I come from Oklahoma and a farmer stock...he is a city boy. I know how to raise chicks...just not sure on a good breed for our area. Any ideas?
    [​IMG][​IMG]:weee

2. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    Hi and welcome to BYC! Look to your heavy breeds for cold hardy.

Black Australorps, Buff Orpingtons, Brahmas, Wyandottes, Ameraucana, and the list goes on and on...

Some of the old hands will jump in here with info for you I am sure. [​IMG]

3. LadySwan517

LadySwan517 New Egg

May 9, 2008
    thank you so much...I am really excited about this...I love chickens...some of my fondest memories of growing up on my grandparents farm where I had pet chickens.

4. LadySwan517

LadySwan517 New Egg

May 9, 2008
    Another question...do you know anything about Isabrown's...the lady at our feed store said they are good layers.

5. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    How about buckeyes. the are supposed to be awesome dual purpose birds. Since they origin from North eastern Ohio(Warren/trumbull County) you know they are used to the northern/great lakes climate)

1 person likes this.
  6. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

Barred Rocks and delewares are also good.

7. LadySwan517

LadySwan517 New Egg

May 9, 2008
    Thank you! I appreciate any info...been searching websites all morning...[​IMG]

8. Gindee77

Gindee77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2008
    QCA, Illinois
    When I got chickens, I chose the breeds for their winter-hardiness and their quietness.

The sex-link chickens are hardy, or so they say. I got some of the Golden Comets and Black sex-links because of their hardiness and the fact that they're quiet. I live in Northwestern Illinois and we have tough winters too (this last one was awful!!) That's why I chose these breeds...Buff Orps, GC's, Black s-l's and Ameraucanas/EE's.

9. I would check with the local feed store. I cannot imagine they would carry or sell any that cannot handle the weather. Our local store sold us red and black sex links...a heavier breed.

10. kodiakchicken

kodiakchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2008
    Kodiak, Alaska
    I'm just getting in to chicken raising and orderd a variety - all of which are supposed to be cold hardy. I got australorp, buff o, araucana, wyandotte.

I notice you have kids and grandkids though. I have to say, I am sooo impressed at our little Buff O's mellow nature though. I have absolutely no tolerance for mean animals and she is just as sweet as can be. If she lays even halfway decent I will be adding a ton more of this breed to my flock.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by