Just Starting from Oregon!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by vikkiOR, Oct 12, 2015.

1. vikkiOR

vikkiOR Just Hatched

Oct 11, 2015
    So happy to find everyone and this site! I just moved to a farmhouse with no neighbors and an empty chicken coop in need of repairs. I am working on that now in anticipation of chickens. I have been doing a ton of research on breeds and love this site. I have 6 guineas that are 6 weeks old. I am going to wait to get chickens in the spring so as not to worry about the winter. I will be a regular gathering information and asking questions. I live in Maupin, OR (central). I have dreamed of this moment all my life and I finally got my wish. I plan on free ranging during the day and in the coop at night. They will be total pets .I am an animal person and I have rescued many animals and birds. I have 6 cats (all rescued), feed wild birds and have a friend who is a retired vet and helps me with all my new patients. I tend to dive in and ask questions later. I hope that doesn't get me in trouble! Glad to be aboard! VikkiOR

2. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC, vikkiOR. Glad you decided to join our flock. If you haven't done so already, definitely check out our Learning Center at https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center. There is loads of useful information there. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck in getting your chicken coop repaired.

3. trailrider330

trailrider330 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2013
    Midwest America
    Welcome to the BYC flock! We are glad you joined us!

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    It's nice to meet you Vikki, Welcome to Backyard chickens [​IMG] You may want to check out the' coops', section to see if the coop needs any modification and probably the predators threads also . They will pop up and make your acquaintance sooner or later. The Learning Center is a great place to start for any poultry ambitions.

Lastly I would suggest posting on your state thread to check in with others and see how they manage their birds and what breeds do best in your area.

5. N F C

N F C just blowing in the wind Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    Hi Vikki, [​IMG]

It sounds like you have some wonderful things planned, good luck with all your poultry. If you haven't found it yet, BYC has articles in the Learning Center about quail and there is a quail forum too:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/other-backyard-poultry-ducks-quail-turkeys-geese-etc (Learning Center articles)
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/48/quail (Quail forum)

Always feel free to ask questions. There is a ton of information available and a lot of helpful members.

Thanks for joining us!

6. Peep-Chicken

Peep-Chicken Overrun With Chickens

Jun 10, 2013
    Michigan
    My Coop
    [​IMG]
    Hello :frow and welcome to BYC!

7. AnimalsRmyLife

AnimalsRmyLife Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2013
    Idaho
    [​IMG]

Hope you continue to have a wonderful time here! We're glad to have you join us!

8. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

9. CindaLouWho

CindaLouWho Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 19, 2014
    Hesperia, CA
    welcome! Looking forward to seeing some pics of your setup! I love farmhouses and cool old coops. :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by