Just starting in Mt. Vernon OH

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by KitchenGardener, Jan 10, 2013.

1. KitchenGardener

KitchenGardener New Egg

Jan 10, 2013
    Hi, I'm new to the forum and BYC but am a long-time gardener and just moved out of Columbus area to a couple acres in the country, so I'm planning to add a few chickens for eggs, meat and ambiance around the garden. Chickens will add some ambiance, won't they? [​IMG]

Since I'm still working a full-time job, commuting and starting from scratch on my gardens, i need to keep my daily chicken time commitment to a minimum, so i'd appreciate some tips on doing this efficiently as possible. We have young grandchildren, so I'm looking at starting with a few breeds like Buff Orpingtons since they're supposed to be calm and friendly.

Right off the start, i have a few questions...
    How much time per day does it take to raise chicks? To maintain 10 hens and maybe a rooster?
    Is there much difference in time commitment between keeping 10 chickens and 20 or 30?
    Is there a breed that the roosters are known to be quieter and usually friendly (especially with children)?

2. willowbranchfarm

willowbranchfarm Chicken Boots

Oct 3, 2011
    Virginia
    My Coop
    [​IMG] Welcome to BYC!!!!!

It all depends on how much time you have to spend with them. You can not enteract with them at all except for feeding, watering, checking on them, and cleaning up after them which wouldn't take that much time. But then you miss out on all the fun.

I wouldn't think there is much difference but there is some.

There are rooster like that. Try looking at breeds here https://www.backyardchickens.com/products/category/chicken-breeds

3. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Welcome to BYC!!
    [​IMG]
    Glad you joined us!!!

4. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG]

5. KitchenGardener

KitchenGardener New Egg

Jan 10, 2013
    Thanks Rebecca, I appreciate your answers and do plan to interact with them, just don't want to get in over my head with daily requirements. Some days just seem to take me in directions i never planned to go... I'll check out that link. Cheers!

6. KitchenGardener

KitchenGardener New Egg

Jan 10, 2013
    Thanks for the welcome Mr MKK Farms and Kevin565!

7. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

You may find you tend to let the house work go in favor of spending quality time with the chickens.

Just sayin'

8. KitchenGardener

KitchenGardener New Egg

Jan 10, 2013
    yeah, i think my husband is already worried about that! I stayed up way too late last night looking at the chicken catalogs that came in the mail. [​IMG]

9. kidcody

kidcody Overrun With Chickens

[​IMG] [​IMG] from washington state glad you joined us!

10. KitchenGardener

KitchenGardener New Egg

Jan 10, 2013
    thanks kidcody!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by