Just starting my flock again after 20 years without chickens.

RainbowMama

Chirping
Dec 29, 2018
I did what a lot of chicken enthusiasts do last year. I finally broke my husband down enough to agree to getting some chickens. We went , ok I went absolutely crazy. So many awesome breeds. Learned a few hard lessons fast. I lost quite a few of my flock to various ailments and unknown sudden death. After a lot of losses I finally felt like things were going well when Stumpy ( my favorite precious rainbow roo ) was found dead of unknown causes. I was devastated. I have tried every remedy and after all of it,I decided to rehome most of my flock. I am starting over,smaller this time. I can expand as I learn and build additions to the coop. I kept my Cochin roo ( cochin the barbarian )and hen ( Valera ). I have discovered that this is a very gentle and docile breed. My hen has began laying this past week and she appears to be broody as well. I bought a small incubator and plan on trying to hatch a few of her eggs. I am very excited. I hope to learn much in this group. Once I get past the trials,I plan to get a few rainbows again. I adored that little roo. ;-)

Welcome to Backyard Chickens :frow:welcome
Thanks for having me :)
How do I upload a pic to my profile?
Go into your profile page, click your profile pic and then click ‘choose file’
E1AD4BFA-06E0-4E68-9B20-447453B83401.jpeg

Hello! Welcome to BYC!! :frow

Sorry for your losses.

If you have any interest, and have photos and plans/details of the coop you've built (or are going to build), there is a coop article contest going on right now! Here is a link:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/official-byc-coop-page-contest-10.1293484/

Feel free to check out the links below for some interesting reading. Good luck on your adventures!

Back
Top Bottom