Just starting out

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Darrylrs, Jul 4, 2016.

1. Darrylrs

Darrylrs New Egg

Jul 4, 2016
    Hello,

My wife and I have just started this urban chicken experience. We have three hens about 4 months old and 3 chicks that are over 1 month old. 1 of the new chicks is a runt and has all the bad experiences of being a runt. She is uncoordinated, lacks energy, but we are trying to give her some extra protein and extra love. Any suggestions for the runt? The other five are all doing well. Our favorite is the Buff Orpington named Jill.

2. BuffOrpington88

BuffOrpington88 Non-Stop

Mar 20, 2012
    Hi and [​IMG] You can try giving the smaller chick some scrambled eggs, which helps with energy and protein and stuff. Thanks for joining us and good luck!

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Are the others picking on her, or bullying her away from the food and water? That happens frequently when one chick is slower than the others.

Maybe if you posted some photos of her, we could get an idea of what is going on with her. Sometimes they do much better away from the other chicks, and given more attention.

4. Cynthia12

Cynthia12 Always Grateful Premium Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah
    [​IMG]

Uncoordinated, sounds like she could have been a bit splayed legged at hatch. Or a hip problem. As long as she can eat,drink, and be happy, she should be fine. No way to really tell what's up though. The lack of strength could be from not being able to walk normally. She doesn't really need more protein. At this point, just some good chicken feed and healthy treats!

5. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC - you have some great advice already so I'll just say hello!

All the best
    CT

6. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by