Just starting out

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Ides0mar, Apr 3, 2018.

1. Ides0mar

Ides0mar In the Brooder

Apr 3, 2018
    Hello to all. Just starting this adventure that is chickens and realizing how much I don’t know.
    For now we have 8 that are approaching their second week in a brooder box under heat lamp with a dimmer switch. They are eating a grower feed and getting probiotics in their water. Bedding is changed every other day. Past that I have zero idea what I’m doing.
    Building the run and coop in the next week. Run will be 12x8x7 fully enclosed with wire and coop will be 4x8x6.5.
    They will be allowed to roam the property during the day time. But due to coyotes, they will be in their run and coop at night. Climate is pretty mild (Southern California)
    I’m scanning forums and learning but what would you all suggest to a complete newbie.
    Thanks for whatever advice you have. image.jpg image.jpg

2. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams

G'Day from down under Ides0mar :frowWelcome and Congratulations! :clap

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

BYC has Topic of the Week discussions which I have found to be a great resource, informative and sometimes entertaining; so definitely worth checking out. These two may be of particular interest:
    Topic of the Week - Getting Started, Keeping Chickens
    Topic of the Week - Keeping the Flock Safe from Predators

Adorable little ones! If you would like to share Pictures and Stories of them, you have come to the right place. BYC’ers never tire of these and do not back away slowly or commence eye rolling when the photo album or home videos come out ;)

Including your general location on your profile will assist others. Location, climate, season etc can be important factors when members are responding to any questions you may have and vice versa.

You might want to also Find Your State Thread and pop in and say hello.

You may also be interested in these links:

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years.

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Welcome to Backyard chickens - chicks grow fast

Joeschooks, Pork Pie Ken and 007Sean like this.
  4. 007Sean

007Sean Pheasant Whisperer

Oct 25, 2015
    South Central Texas
    Howdy:welcome:frow Happy :yato have you join the family. Enjoy your time here at BYC! :)

Joeschooks and Pork Pie Ken like this.
  5. Pork Pie

Pork Pie Flockwit

Jan 30, 2015
    Hello and welcome to BYC. I'd advise caution with your heat lamp in a small brooder. A warm spot and the rest of the brooder being at ambient temps is what you should be aiming for.

Teila has done an outstanding job with links that I'm sure will be very helpful

All the best

Pork Pie

007Sean and Joeschooks like this.
  6. Joeschooks

Joeschooks Just clucking around

Feb 7, 2018
    Hampshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hello and :welcome You’ve come to the right place! We’re all chicken mad here and there’s loads of friendly, knowledgeable members who will be pleased to help when needed or simply just chat about all things chicken. :thumbsup

007Sean likes this.
  7. Jetblack2004

Jetblack2004 Free Ranging

Feb 22, 2016
    South East England
    My Coop
    :welcome
    We're glad you joined us :D

007Sean likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: