Just Starting Out

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by swflchick, Dec 30, 2009.

1. swflchick

swflchick New Egg

Dec 30, 2009
    Any advice on the right breed for the first time chicken parent? I would like a less expensive, egg laying, friendly bird that we can get to know as the family pet. My girls are interested in eventually showing chickens too.

2. gkeesling

gkeesling Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2008
    Hagerstown, IN
    I started out with Plymouth Barr Rocks. They work out very well. They are hardy for the winter and good brown egg layers.

3. FLF

FLF Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2007
    Portersville
    I started out with Barred Plymouth Rocks, too and would highly recommend them! I also had Black Australorps, they were very beginner friendly.

4. joletabey

joletabey SDWD!!!!

Apr 9, 2009
    western NC
    Delawares- I have 16 7 week old Dels who are very friendly. They have come up to me instead of running away from the beginning. Check out the Delaware thread- it's long, but you will see how many people have posted about the friendliness of their Dels.

5. poultryhaven

poultryhaven Addicted to Seramas!

Jan 19, 2009
    Ocala, FL
    I would suggest Speckled Sussex, They are gentle, pretty and friendly [​IMG]

6. RAREROO

RAREROO Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    Barred Rocks !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

7. TK Poultry

TK Poultry Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    Greencastle, Indiana
    i started out with EEs, Plymouth Rocks, and New Hampshire Reds all very good starter breeds

8. 95yj

95yj Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2009
    Central Vermont
    i'd stay away from EE's if you ever want to show anywhere, plus i have to admit that i'm biased against mixed breeds. RIR's are good, plymouth rocks are good, dominiques are even better if you can find them. NH reds are also a good choice. Or you could get a bunch of chickens that aren't great egg producers, ex. about 30 japanese hens.

9. 95yj

95yj Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2009
    Central Vermont
    silkies would be a good all around bird for your purposes.

10. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Barred Rocks or Delawares, either one, are fabulous. If you're wanting to show them at APA sanctioned shows, you should probably get them from a breeder rather than a hatchery.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by