Just starting to Lay

Layer feed is fine. Yes you can eat the eggs but they are small. I can't eat my first ones because I had just wormed them thinking I had a few weeks till they layed.

This is not true at all. Hens don't need layer feed. High production birds do do better with supplemental calcium. They can get that from layer feed, oyster shell, tums, feeding their own egg shells back to them. Supplemental calcium does not effect size of eggs at all, only shell quality over the long run. A funky shell now and then (or a shell-less egg) do not mean your bird is deficient in calcium, it's just a glitch in her system. Very common for new layers. As is sporadic laying, as you've described. Their systems are new to this and it takes up to a few months to work all the kinks out, but eventually you'll get probably 6 nice sized eggs a week from each of those red girls, and 5 or so from the rocks.

edit--yep, you can eat those first eggs. Might take more of them to make a nice omelet, but they're just as tasty!
So what you're saying is, you don't need special food so long as you go out an buy calcium and oyster shells? also if you're telling someone to feed the shells back to the chicken you should at least inform them that the eggs need to be finely crushed otherwise you can end up with chickens eating their own eggs. I just avoid it altogether and use the shells for compost. But supplying them with layer food helps to supplement vitamins and calcium lost due to laying eggs. layer feed is also higher in protein but you can always supplement that with feeding them more meat. In case you didn't know it is totally safe to feed chickens meat even chicken meat is okay just try to avoid feeding them raw meat.

Oh good to know! Worming? Didn't even think of that!!! Do you need to do that?

It's a personal choice. I did because my children are going to eat those eggs. My chickens are healthy but I did it at 16 weeks just in case. Many folks don't do it and I was on the fine about it. Only real downside is not eating the eggs for two weeks after. It's cheap and easy, just two ounces in the gallon waterer and your done.

My two that that are laying have got big bright red combs and wattles and the others are noticeably smaller.

Hi y'all! I have 2 girls and a rooster and 7 babies! I'm waiting for my 20 week old girls to start laying! I'm a rookie at this and I don't want the eggs to get fertilized! What and how do I prevent this! I want eggs to eat! Not more chicks!!!!

My white leghorns are around 17-18 weeks old. 3 out of the 5 have large red combs and wattles. I got an egg decoy in each box. Any day now....

Amelia, 3rd oldest

Clara, 2nd oldest Fiona, the oldest

Back
Top Bottom