Just starting with a few chics

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by chic man 1968, Nov 16, 2016.

1. chic man 1968

chic man 1968 Just Hatched

Nov 15, 2016
    Can any 1 send me a few chics that will be docile lay a good egg and easy to start with

2. Chicken Girl1

Chicken Girl1 Stuck back in the 40s Premium Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia
    Hello [​IMG] and Welcome to BYC!

Where do you live? I would go to a thread for people in your area and ask around there, also I would check our the BUY~SELL~TRADE forum. Good luck with finding what you want!

3. N F C

N F C doo be doo be doo Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

4. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kanas, chic man, and [​IMG]! Pleased you joined us! There still may hatcheries that are offering chicks. Most shut down for the winter and resume in the new year. You can check out the availability of what hatcheries might still offer in this link: https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/16/chicken-breeders-hatcheries
    In terms of them being docile...That is more a function of how they are treated by their owner, however, certain classes of chickens seem to be a little more jittery than others. You might want to do some research in the Breeds forum here https://www.backyardchickens.com/products/category/chicken-breeds before you take the leap. Best wishes and thanks for joining BYC! [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]

6. EggSighted4Life

EggSighted4Life Overrun With Chickens

Hi, welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

You already got some good suggestions. [​IMG]

I like Orpington a lot. But each bird no matter which breed will have their own personalities. Also I really like true Ameraucana, they seem so calm and confident out of the ones I have raised. I don't dislike Eater Eggers, but I find their laying to be sporadic and often (not always) flighty. The blue eggs are a bonus. My Barred Rock are usually top in the pecking order but fairly docile and consistent layers.

I would suggest that you don't start with less than 3. And I also recommend getting different breeds so you can have a nice variety to look at and easily tell them apart. Plus it will make it easier to tell who laid that egg, which sometimes can clue you in if they are having health problems.

I hope you enjoy BYC and chicken keeping as much as I do! [​IMG]

7. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

8. CuzChickens

CuzChickens CountryChick

Apr 24, 2016
    Virginia
    Hello there, and welcome to Backyard Chickens! I am so glad you joined us, I do hope you will make yourself at home here. Enjoy BYC! :frow

9. RodNTN

RodNTN Following Jesus

May 22, 2013
    The USA
    My Coop
    Hi and [​IMG] I'm glad you joined us! If your looking for chicks, I would definitely check out My Pet Chicken, http://www.mypetchicken.com/
    Even though they might not have much now, come New years you can get your order in for spring or sometime, they have a great selection of breeds. I ordered from them last year and I am planning on doing it again sometime.
    They also have this neat tool I personally love using: http://www.mypetchicken.com/chicken-breeds/which-breed-is-right-for-me.aspx
    I hope you enjoy your time on BYC, best wishes! [​IMG]

10. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Welcome to BYC, and good luck in establishing your flock.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by