Just Stopped Laying??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by TK Poultry, Nov 7, 2010.

1. TK Poultry

TK Poultry Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    Greencastle, Indiana
    I'm very concerned that my Bantam BBS Ameraucanas are just done laying. September I was getting 4 eggs a day (4 hens) now I've gotten maybe 3 eggs in two months! They were going through a pretty rough molt so I put them on a higher protein diet to kind of help them out and maybe speed up this process! They went from 16% to 20% protein, not a huge increase. I did introduce a cockerel on the weekend of Oct. 23 but they were on a laying slump before then and have laid ONE egg since then. This cockerel is starting to cover his ladies pretty well and I want to hatch some babies because I have some stellar lines out there! My Wheaten pen really hasn't laid either but I brought them home on the 23rd as well. Any explanation? Am I SOL trying to get eggs before spring? (I sure hope not!)

edited to say: I thought that they were pretty much done. I haven't seen any feathers (like I was) for a while now. Could they still be molting???

Last edited: Nov 7, 2010
  2. woodmort

woodmort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    Quote:Probably two months or so isn't that long a time for some chickens--they'll come back gradually--not as many eggs but bigger.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2010
  3. Payette

Payette Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2010
    Earth
    I may be wrong, but sometimes hens stop laying when they are either molting or in the winter. One of my friend's bantams stopped laying for a few months, and went right back to laying. We have no idea why it stopped laying, it just did. Hope this helped!

4. TK Poultry

TK Poultry Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    Greencastle, Indiana
    Well I might not get my test hatch in with my new cockerel after all then before spring! I wanted to raise a couple babies from him just as a preview but oh well they are healthy and happy!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by