Just tell me what to DO!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Qi Chicken, Aug 29, 2010.

1. Qi Chicken

Qi Chicken Songster

Jul 3, 2009
    Ok, My lame chicken has been in the house for 1 week and one day. Last wednesday I took her to the vet. He didn't feel anything broken. Thought maybe calcium deficiency so he gave her a shot of that.

She is now kind of kneeling when she stands up. Feet flat and knee joint still on the ground. After doing research on here I am inclined to think maybe Vitamin B deficiency. Although some people think E??

If I were to treat her for B deficiency I could

1. Make a mash of honey, yogurt oats and something else. Feed Daily??

2. Sprinkle nutritional yeast on her food. How MUCH?

3. Complex B tablet. How many MG and HOW OFTEN?

4. Polyvisol?

5. Put vitamin B in her water? Again how much?

6. Electrolytes in water? What brand how much?

I don't want to kill her with kindness. Which one or ones of these should I do? Extra thanks if you have done them and they worked!

I have been giving her 3-4 drops of polyvisol per day in mashed up egg. Approximately one egg per day and maybe every other day plain yogurt with feed in it.

She is eating well and feels feisty. She just can't walk. She is laying eggs. Each one has been different. 1st egg last Wed! First egg dark brown speckles. (She is a welsummer) Second egg soft shell Third egg mostly hard with soft dents. Fourth egg (today) Darker brown no speckles. Hard shell. Poop fine. Eyes bright.

Please tell me what to do! Lucky (her new name, hope it works!) is counting on me and I need help!

Last edited: Aug 30, 2010

2. Falcon61

Falcon61 Chirping

May 5, 2010
    Maybe she stepped on a goathead (puncture vine) or bad sprain jumping off something? Chicken are tough..Sounds like she needs some oyster shells and she'll be fine.

3. ChooksChick

ChooksChick BeakHouse's Mad Chicken Scientist

Aug 17, 2008
    Larry, KS
    My Coop
    Replace her food with baby parrot food, which is very finely tuned with tons of micronutrients, supplements and probiotics.

I'm not sure whether B or E, but you need to add selenium with E.

I have had success with B in am food mix, E & selenium in pm mix, but it was a chick.

Good luck! [​IMG]

4. Lorije1

Lorije1 Songster

Mar 13, 2010
    my little runt JG pullet would just lay around all the time. lay down to eat, drink...

I crushed just a regular Vit B complex pill that I bought at the store into some yogurt for several days. She perked up. In fact, she has started laying around again so I started her back on it today.

edited for spelling

Last edited: Aug 29, 2010
  5. Qi Chicken

Qi Chicken Songster

Jul 3, 2009
    ok--Lorije1 You did one pill one time daily? I can do that ........should I discontinue the polyvisol as that has so much B?

6. dawg53

dawg53 Humble Premium Member

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Use vitamin B complex tablets, crush several of them into a powder and sprinkle it into her feed for about a week. You should see improvement by then, if not, continue for another week. Dont use any other meds/vitamins when using vitamin B complex.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by