Just thinking about chickens

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by kimmypie, Sep 1, 2010.

1. kimmypie

kimmypie Songster

Sep 1, 2010
    Utah
    My name is Kim, my husband and I have 4 kids and a dog. We're thinking about getting some chickens, but I want to learn as much as I can before I jump in. [​IMG]

2. Break an Egg

Break an Egg Songster

Mar 17, 2008
    San Antonio
    Welcome, having a few chickens in the backyard is alot of fun. It is relaxing to watch them run around and they are pretty low maintainence. You will find all you need to know and more here.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Free Ranging

Feb 2, 2009
    Southeast Louisiana
    [​IMG] Welcome to the forum! [​IMG] Glad you are here! [​IMG]

You came to the right place to learn about chickens. Other than becoming addicted to this forum like many of us and reading all the posts you can, I suggest going to the Learning Center up at the top of this page and reading. Lots of good info there. And never be afraid to post a question, even if you think it has been asked a thousand times. This site would die without questions.

One thing I will caution you about. We all have different goals and situations. One answer is seldom correct for all of us. Try to pick people that have situations and goals somewhat similar to yours before you take the advice blindly. What works for me may not work for you. Chickens are tough and adaptable. As long as you furnish the basics of food, water, shelter appropriate for your climate, and protection friom predators, they will probably thrive.

Good luck! And again, [​IMG]

4. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Kim, [​IMG] from South Carolina!

Ridgerunner, good post and info, as always! [​IMG]

5. kimmypie

kimmypie Songster

Sep 1, 2010
    Utah
    Thanks for the welcome! [​IMG] I'm looking forward to learning more about chickens and I hope what I learn will lead us to getting some.

6. colada584

colada584 Chirping

Jul 15, 2010
    Gardiner, NY
    [​IMG] You can learn a whole lot on here! Good Luck!

7. tobin123

tobin123 Songster

Mar 4, 2009
    fountaintown,indiana
    [​IMG] and hello from Indiana.Well maybe time to jump inand take a resk.Chickens are so easy

8. Adopted Chickenman

Adopted Chickenman Chirping

Jul 12, 2010
    Rogers
    Make sure you check out mypetchicken.com. (MPC) They have a great breed selection tool that really helps. It has worked for me really well. They also have a downloadable chicken raising guide. It also helps. Plus, they have a great deal of day old chicks you an order. Overnight shipping is expensive but it is worth it both for you and the chicks. What ever you do, you will be happy with your decision to raise chickens. BTW, what other pet owner can say "My pets serve me breakfast each day"! [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 1, 2010
  9. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Crowing

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    [​IMG] and [​IMG] from Ohio.

10. Gallo del Cielo

Gallo del Cielo La Gallina Resort & Spa

May 6, 2010
    Tucson
    My Coop
    Hi Kimmypie, [​IMG] from Tucson, AZ! You've come to the right place! You can learn all that you need to know right here.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by