Just Thinking..... from San Jose

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by grmitchell, Oct 10, 2012.

1. grmitchell

grmitchell Out Of The Brooder

Oct 10, 2012
    Hi all,

I am thinking about chickens and all the benefits and have joined to see if I want to do this now. I will be moving out of the city in the next few years and know that I will be at that point I will have chickens. I still have an older, mostly blind, friendly Cocker that is mostly indoors and an a old silly "outside" male cat. Am I asking for trouble?

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

[​IMG]

Hi!

Well dogs are chicken killers unless trained from what I have read on BYC but I have never had a dog. Cats I know.

I have witnessed two cat attacks on my chickens, one was a silver laced wyandotte flock and the other was a Golden Campine flock.

However, there are neighbor cats who just look at my chickens now and haven't attacked, so I think it is an individualized thing.

3. Big A Chickens

Big A Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2012
    Palmetto, Georgia
    Hi and [​IMG] So glad you joined us!!![​IMG]

4. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Hello an welcome to BYC [​IMG] Chickens are awesome pets with benefits. You get fresh eggs daily, manure for your garden, entertainment and companionship... I've had dogs and cats and all sorts of pets over the years and I've enjoyed my chickens the most.

5. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan :D

My chickens, dogs and cats all coexist without strife.

6. grmitchell

Oct 10, 2012
    Thanks 1muttsfan... it's good to know. I just don't want to make more work than it already will be. My other concern is that my backyard is too small. I have a corner that is under a smaller Maple and could put the coop next to the fence but will that not be enough air flow. I guess I will be starting, if I can, in the spring so there is time to get all my concerns answered...thanks

7. ChickensRDinos

ChickensRDinos Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Hello and Welcome! I have 4 dogs and 5 chickens and everyone gets along great. If you want tips for how to introduce dogs and chickens let me know and I will PM you.

Good luck!

8. grmitchell

Oct 10, 2012
    Thanks That would be great. He is a great dog and I think that when he is gone the chickens will be my companions in the garden.... I don't think that they will make it to the sewing room.[​IMG]

9. grmitchell

Oct 10, 2012
    Charlie, the cocker, has had a tuff life. We adopted and found out that he had been treated so poorly that someone somewhere should have been jailed, in my opinion. Anyway he loves everyone and everything that comes into his life. Granted the old cat we have does not feel the same way but that is to be expected. I just think that coming from a life in a cage to our home makes him take everything in his stride...including a baby 18 months ago. Chickens come small like babies don't they? LOL

10. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by