just thinking it may be crazy enough to work

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Brianm97, Oct 28, 2009.

1. Brianm97

Brianm97 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2009
    Connecticut
    mods if this isnt where it should be plz move thx
    well what if the door you let you flock out of of is one of thoes cat doors with the collor tag that unlocks it. you could put one on the legs of the hens or roosters. they could lock themselvs up. any one think this would work??????

Last edited: Oct 28, 2009
  2. AnnieOakley379

AnnieOakley379 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 1, 2008
    Bristol County, MA
    How do you know that the hen/rooster you designate to lock the door will be the last one in, or the first one to want to go out?

It doesn't seem like it would work to me.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2009
  3. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm

That would work if you can teach them to use a cat door.... They usually wont.

If ya had a lot of chickens the collar keys would get expensive.

4. Joz

Joz Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2009
    MidCity, New Orleans
    you'd have to get the magnetic tags for all the birds, but I think it would probably work pretty well.

5. AHappychick

AHappychick Wanna-be Farmer

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    I think it is feasable with a small flock I have often thought of something like that myself. It would take some hard work or at least detailed as well as time to train the chooks. plus the will get mucked up a lot more on the leg, maybe on a saddle?

6. chickenshagg

chickenshagg THE ALPHA ROO

Apr 18, 2009
    St. Charles, MO
    Once they go in how far are they going to be away from the door so that they do not release it accidently?

7. TipsyDog

TipsyDog Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2009
    Aregua, Paraguay
    Quote:That's what I'm thinking. I don't think it would work. Get an automatic door opener that opens dusk/dawn. That'll keep them locked up at night.

8. blurose

blurose Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2008
    Winston, Oregon
    I'm sorry, but I myself just can't rest at night unless I've personally checked on my girls, made sure they're in bed (on their roost) and said "nighty-night" to them. (or at least sent my son out to do it) [​IMG] I'd still be doing that if I had a fancy automatically closing door.

9. Brianm97

Brianm97 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2009
    Connecticut
    it was just am idea

10. redstars

redstars Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2009
    south dartmouth ma
    Quote:I have a fancy automatic closer and still check every night to make sure every one is in.
    The closer is mainly for when we go out.
    And I still check when we get home.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by