1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Just threw wheat straw in run, they love it...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by trunkman, May 2, 2011.

1. trunkman

trunkman Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 26, 2009
    Rock Hill SC
    I decided to take a bale of wheat straw and break it up into 6 inch slivers and threw it about the fenced in chicken enclosure, the flock immediately started to tear the bail slivers apart by scratching at them and were cooing like crazy. They were after the wheat seeds that were missed by the seeder or whatever you call it. Having 39 chickens I will throw one bale in the run every week to give them something to do and to build up the compost that will follow. I also will soak the bales with water about two weeks before I throw it in the run so the leftover seeds in the bale have a chance to sprout so they have something to forage for which I've done in the past, it noticed it kept them busy for a couple days, they love it. Anyone else have ideas on how to keep them busy and content? [​IMG]

2. mariel37

mariel37 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    Ocala
    Oh - that sounds really great! Do you get wheat straw at a local feed store - with hay, etc.?

3. nanawendy

nanawendy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2009
    Bellingham Wa
    Isn't that fun.... My DH took lots of time one day spreading the straw around... I asked "what are you doing?" he said he was trying to replicate what I had done the month before. I had to laugh... I had fun letting him know it was the girls that had such great technique ... I just put out the bale, cut off the binding and let them have @ it.

4. mariel37

mariel37 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    Ocala
    [​IMG]

BUT ... he gets a gold star for effort and intention!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by