Just tired or ill!?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ChickenLove6, Aug 2, 2013.

1. ChickenLove6

ChickenLove6 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2012
    England, Leamington spa
    I have six light sussex cross silkie chicks all 2-3days old. They are all running around, eating and drinking well, but their is one chick who is very sleepy. It keeps closing its eyes, but when my broody hen calls it to have food it suddenly runs over to her. I have had chicks before, but not one that is this tired?
    Do you think it is just tired, or ill?
    Thanks in advance!!

2. Bantamlover124

Bantamlover124 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2013
    US
    My Coop
    If it is pale and has bloody poop: use 9.6% Corid Liquid solution for cattle, 9.5cc per gallon.

If just sleepy: Give it electrolytes in it's water

3. traccy123

traccy123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2013
    You can often tell by its poop as batman lover said, if it has bloody poop that could be bad or the case could be that he had a hard time hatching so he's resting, that happened with my cousin's silkie rooster, she helped it hatch and zipped it but it had a hard time hatching to for a few days it looked like he were I'll but he got better and active later

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I think it is a little too young for coccidiosis--the usual age is 3-6 weeks. It may have some internal problem such as a weak heart or an infection from the egg. I would watch it or take it out and try to raise it yourself, but I doubt there is a lot you can do other than feed it vitamins, electrolytes, and some egg with chick starter. It may also require more heat since it is having problems keeping up.

5. ChickenLove6

ChickenLove6 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2012
    England, Leamington spa
    Thanks everyone!! I will give it some vitamins in it's water and just watch to see if it gets any better!

6. traccy123

traccy123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2013
    Good luck

7. farnorth

farnorth Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2013
    Upper Michigan
    I had one chick acting like this at 3 days old. It would fall asleep all the time, eventually it got a little wobbly and weak too. It was active now and then but not as much as the other chicks. So we dipped it's beak now and then to get it to drink more water (electrolites in water). We thought they were all drinking well but this one must not have been drinking enough because we spent a day of encouraging it to drink whenever we passed by the brooder. By the next day it perked right up started eating and drinking more and running around with a lot of energy like the rest of them. Some of them just don't learn to drink and eat as quickly as others, so they get tired and weak more easily. Hopefully yours will perk up like mine did.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by