Just to confirm...feeding mixed age flock...

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Jeffross1968, Jul 27, 2011.

1. Jeffross1968

Jeffross1968 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    Smoky Mountains
    Just want to make sure....I have 2 coops/runs...large one for my older laying birds, and a small one for my 10-12 week olds. In the large one, I have layer pellets, small one has grower/finisher crumble. Because both cages are left open during the day while they free range, both groups are often found eating in the others' cage. More so the older birds eating the grower/finisher. I'm starting to think they are somewhat unhappy with their pellets. I only just stopped feeding the medicated to the little ones. I was locking down their food during the day. Now that it's normal grower/finisher, I'm leaving it open and the big ones are scarfing it down. I'm guessing I won't buy pellet again, but until it's gone, I want to make sure that the older ones won't be harmed by eating the grower...

As for the needed calcium, they have crushed oyster shell all over the place, so that's not an issue.

2. dsqard

dsqard Crazy "L" Farms

Jun 11, 2010
    York PA
    Nope they will be fine. Since I have a mixed flock as well, grower food is all I feed. Just like you I just leave out the oyster shell for the hens. I like giving them the increased protien in the grower food anyway.

3. Jeffross1968

May 14, 2011
    Smoky Mountains
    Quote:Great, thanks! I was wondering, how do you offer the oyster shell? Right now I have it spread around in the run, for them to scratch for, and outside the run on the ground. It keeps disappearing, but until the young ones are introduced into the big coop/run when I'll use their feeder for the oyster shell, I thought it would be fine offering it like that...

4. rungirl

rungirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2010
    Columbus, Ohio
    I'm in the same boat, only mine are all in the same coop. So I switched back to buying grower until the younger ones start laying. Then I'll go back to the layer pellets. They probably like the taste of the crumbles better but they spill less on the coop floor when I use the pellets.

5. Jeffross1968

May 14, 2011
    Smoky Mountains
    Quote:Guess I'm pretty lucky in that respect. Both the young ones and older ones are really good about not kicking a bunch all over the place. I have my feeders and waterers up on cinder blocks, so I'd definitely see if there was spillage.

6. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    Quote:Great, thanks! I was wondering, how do you offer the oyster shell? Right now I have it spread around in the run, for them to scratch for, and outside the run on the ground. It keeps disappearing, but until the young ones are introduced into the big coop/run when I'll use their feeder for the oyster shell, I thought it would be fine offering it like that...

I have the oyster shell in a feeder, then I can get by with less. I have a wall feeder with grit in one section and oyster shell in the other.

7. dsqard

dsqard Crazy "L" Farms

Jun 11, 2010
    York PA
    I pretty much do the same thing as galanie. I have a small container screwed to the wall inside the coop. I just fill it when it gets empty. Right now that is only once a week but I figure once my other girls start laying I will have to fill it more often.

8. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Quote:Same here.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by