Just to confirm, these ARE Cornish X's, right?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by chicken-owner-31, Dec 20, 2010.

1. chicken-owner-31

chicken-owner-31 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2007
    NV
    Out of the 9 I have there are 2 that look different. The other 7 are all about the same size, comlpetely white with yellow legs. 3 out of the 9 are roos (I'm 87% sure, anyway!) They are about 4 months old or so.

This roo has always had a stray black feather, but has just recently developed these brown spots. He's a tad bit bigger than the others, but there are two other roos in this group that are about the same size as him.

He was NOT a happy camper, haha!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This little pullet has white legs and a much lighter comb and face than the others. Also she is quite a bit smaller than the others as well. (Pardon that she's so filthy.....she's the only one who decided it was fun to play in the mud I made when I dumped over the water by accident this morning. [​IMG] )
    [​IMG]

Just wanted to make sure they were what I thought they were! Thanks!

2. Tanichca

Tanichca Sparkle Magnet

May 6, 2009
    Vail, Arizona
    Those certainly appear to be cornish X meat birds....nice and fat! The color only matters if you were planning to enter them in a show or something.

3. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    No, they're not the common Cornish X everyone else gets. . . But if they're getting huge fast, (which it seems they are) they're still a broiler/fast growing meat bird, which still is as acceptable as a Cornish X to the buyer.

It is like EE's vs Ameraucanas - As long as you wanted the blue or green eggs, that's what matters. [​IMG]

4. chicken-owner-31

Nov 7, 2007
    NV
    I thought they seemed different than the other birds I've had in the past....and even the ones I have now! Honestly, these are the only chickens I have any kind of experience with, so I can't tell if they are getting big fast compared to anything else. My bantams are only 5 weeks and still in the brooder.

Any guesses on what they could be?

5. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Where did you get them at?
    By chance did they come form Mt. Healthy?

Chris

6. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    The white/pink legs show that someone put possibly Sussex or something behind them.

Cornish X's are to be solid white and with yellow legs due to the original "recipe" parents being solid white with yellow legs- Your birds have pink/white legs and gold leakage, showing that there was a colored bird with white or slate legs behind there.

The coloring coming through looks like Birchen or Duckwing.

7. chicken-owner-31

Nov 7, 2007
    NV
    Neat information, thanks!

I know it doesn't REALLY matter.....I am the accidental owner of these things, but what I really want (in the LF variety anyway) are egg layers. So I'm contemplating sending these to be butchered or selling them. I would do it myself, but it looks like a lot of work, and I know me! [​IMG]

Chris, I have no idea where they came from originally......but we got them from a local chicken farmer here in SE AL. They were doing a "petting zoo" for the Elementary School kids and my daughter (in the high school FFA) was helping and came home with 10 of them as little yellow puff balls. [​IMG]

8. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Quote:OK,
    The reason I asked is, I had picked up some "Broilers" from a friend that didn't have the heart to butcher them and those birds came from Mt. Healthy. The "Broilers" came with both Yellow and White legs, the Roosters did have some Red leaking out in the wings but I don't think they are a "true" Cornish cross.. I held onto one pair to see what they paned out like and thinking of breeding the pair to see what pops out.

Chris

9. RAREROO

RAREROO Overrun With Chickens

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    They are a cross of an actual cornish cross hen and some kind of Red roo. That is what I got from doing that cross using a RIR roo and if you look around in the meat birds forum, there is a thread were Brunty Farms crossed a Buckeye roo with the the Cornish cross hens and got that color too. The Cornish cross birds are like a Silver based black bird masked by Dominant White so the red that you are seeing is the same amount of Red leakage that would would get from crossing a black bird and red bird, but the dom white is making the black in them so only the red leakage is coming through.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2010
  10. tinychicky

tinychicky Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2010
    Hollis, New Hampshire
    whatever they are, they're pretty birds in a simple sort of way...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by