1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Just to ease my mind

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by CCCCCCCCHICKENS, Oct 24, 2013.

1. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

CCCCCCCCHICKENS Overrun With Chickens

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana
    a few weeks ago one of my old english game bantam rooster sneezed. I then hurried and separated him. He sneezed a few times. Then that was all. Then a week or so later he sneezed once, and then again a few days ago. He isn't constantly sneezing nor does it come in little spurts. can I just assume that dust is getting into his nose and making him sneeze? his food is very dusty, but I switched it and havent heard him sneeze since then. I have been very careful, when handeling him and then my other chickens, washing, chanigng clothes between etc. Is it safe to put him back with my other chickens?

2. HomeSnail

HomeSnail Out Of The Brooder

Oct 24, 2013
    North NJ
    My hens sneeze all the time. Sometimes it's a little cold, or it could be dust. I would not worry about it. If he is acting lethargic I would separate him. But from what you said it doesn't seem that he as any problems.

Hope that helped.
    -Malik

3. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Yes I hear sneezing occasionally with my hens...like once every two weeks especially when I'm in the coop scraping it (daily) and they congregate in there. I have to wear a mask or I end up with problems myself. It is very dusty in there between the sand I am shaking all over the place and the dusty feed I pour.

If I heard sneezing as often as you have heard with no additional signs of illness I would just think it was dust.

4. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

CCCCCCCCHICKENS Overrun With Chickens

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana
    Thanks to both of you. He acts perfectly fine besides the fact that he will occassionaly sneeze. Otherwise he is completley healthy, eating and drinking normal, and happy. I just wanted to make sure, I dont want to risk any getting a disease. Thank you again I appreciate your responses, they make me feel alot better

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by