Just took in 2 White Chinese Goslings...any tips for raising geese?

Discussion in 'Geese' started by Sparrow, Apr 28, 2008.

1. Sparrow

Sparrow Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2008
    The feed store I bought my chicks and ducks at has had a pair of Whire Chinese Goslings left over from their shipment over a week ago, and they wanted someone to take them who would keep them together for life. I know the people who work there pretty well, and when I came in to pick up my ducks the other day they told me their concerns about separating them, and people didn't seem interested in purchasing the two together because they are HUGE.

Needless to say...I brought them home tonight after setting a brooder up fo them. I think they are so huge they are going to be moving into the unused bathtub soon. [​IMG] Anyway, I've never raised geese before, and these guys are over a week old and gigantic. Very sweet, though! What can you tell me about raising geese that might be different from raising ducks? My ducks seem really happy, so I'm doing it essentially the same way, just on a larger scale. I have to buy them a waterer tomorrow, for now they are drinking out of a sandwich size Tupperware...deep enough to drink from but too small to get into. They are eating the Nutrena Livestock Duck Food, and they have a 75W bulb to warm up under. My bedroom ambient temp is 78-ish degrees anyway. Is there anything else I should be doing with them to keep them happy? [​IMG]

2. jessica117

jessica117 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2008
    SE Tennessee
    I have a gray african goose named Goosie and I just love her. We kept her in the house until she was fully feathered, which seemed to take FOREVER. They will eat much more than your ducks, probably due to the added size, but still. It goes straight through them. They'll really like it if you let them out for a little while each day to go "grazing."

Also, get ready to have 2 more children [​IMG] If they have lots of human contact at this age they'll follow you around like you're their mother. Goosie is over a year old and still does it. I know it sounds silly but they like it when you talk to them, especially if you honk at them. I'm sure I look certifiable when I'm out honking at the goose, but she loves and will get upset when I stop.

That's about all I can think of that is different from when we had ducks.

Good luck and have fun!

3. raindrop

raindrop Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2008
    Western Oregon
    I have ducks and geese still in the brooder, the geese like to eat grass that I pick for them more than the ducks. I give them a large handful of grass every few hours. The ducks play around with it, but the geese gobble it up.

4. Frosty

Frosty Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2008
    ND
    Biggest difference is the mess they make... duck x four sized mess... but I still love them!

5. Patchesnposies

Patchesnposies Chickens.....are my ONE weakness!

Mar 5, 2008
    Southern New Mexico
    We love geese and haven't been able to have them for a few years. Well, my husband went crazy at the feed store two weeks ago and brought home 6 african goslings and 2 toulouse!

A number of years ago we had three plymouth geese, Flora, Fauna and Meriwether. They would follow us around everywhere, even going on walks with us. They were adorable.

Not to hijack this thread, but it is gosling related....this morning one of our goslings started being aggressive towards the others....I mean really going at it! They would tussle and bite each others necks and wings, making a lot of baby racket.

I know all about establishing pecking order, etc....it just seems like this is so soon to start. Do I just let them figure out who is top goose-let and not stress over what sounds and looks rough??? Do they work it all out quickly?

Thanks!

6. greyfields

greyfields Overrun With Chickens

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    Quote:I personally think Chinese are gorgeous! My wife likes them better than other geese because of their ridiculous necks. Some people don't like the tone of their honk. It doesn't bother me. You can certainly tell them apart from any other goose breed by sound alone.

Quote:Be sure they can get a good grip on the floor in order to avoid spraddle leg.

Also, I have lost more goslings to drownign than anything. Be very careful with the bathing facilities you provide them until they are feathered out.

Quote:Chinese geese are the smallest of all the geese breeds (well at least of those you commonly find). They are pretty much identical to ducks, except they don't eat insects/meat. Remember, NO medicated food. Provide niacin supplements if you possilby can, and they will go APE over leafy greens. We sometimes get lettuce simply for our geese to watch them go crazy. Oh and get the Booke of Geese, it's unparalleled:

http://www.metzerfarms.com/books.htm

Quote:That's awesome. I have never in my life seen a bag of duck or goose food! I would just say get some leaf lettuce for them and watch them go at it like pirahnas.

7. Sparrow

Apr 11, 2008
    Thanks so much for the suggestions! I really appreciate it, I want to have as much knowledge as I possibly can to take care of my baby birds.

About living in the bathtub, it is totally covered in pine shavings so they are comfy...although with all the old mineral buildup in the tub bottom it probably would be impossible for them to slip if they did scratch the shavings away. [​IMG] I also don't plan on them swimming until they are we ll feathered. I don't want to take a risk if I don't have to!

One of my babies is trying to make a very small honk-ish sound on occasion, the other one is still only peeping. It's pretty cute, because the one that is honking just sounds like a duck...she still needs a lot of practice. lol

I will try to find that book you mentioned, greyfields, and get them some green leaf lettuce tonight on the way home. This is going to sound nerdy, but I'm going to ask anyway...do you need to provide grit for ducks and geese when they receive dietary enrichment like you have to do for chickens? They have just been eating their unmedicated duck food and they seem to love it., but I can't wait to give them some green treats!

8. greyfields

greyfields Overrun With Chickens

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    They won't need grit until they're large enough to be let out on grass. And they'll probably pick it up naturally. But, if you already have chicken grit, it cannot harm them to provide it for them say the week before you let them out of the brooder (just make sure it's not the super large grit).

Also a dish full of live culture yoghurt a few days before hitting the grass is a little extra insurance.

9. Sparrow

Apr 11, 2008
    I'll do just that. Thank you for helping me out! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by