Just transferred my 16 week old cockerel to another flock - tips for adjusting?

Toddrick

Songster
5 Years
Sep 28, 2014
Indiana
His name is Brownie, and he is a production RIR that I incubated. Today he was sent to my sister's flock to live with a dozen RIR hens. They have a large coop (like 12'x12').

I'm worried that he will be afraid of the hens and remain isolated and cold at night. Any tips to help them bond?

Its very probable that he's going to spend a week or so getting his butt kicked. But, I don't think there's really a way to help them bond. He'll have to dominate his new hens to climb his way to the top of their pecking order. Some of them may take his presence in stride, but its pretty much guaranteed that the girls at the top aren't going to be happy with him being there. They're going to have to duke it out and learn their places. Its ugly to watch, but its best to just leave them to it so they can get it out of the way. That's been my experience when introducing new cockerels and roosters, anyway.

x 2 on the butt kickin but they may not be too hard on him at this age. Pecking order issues are rough in the chicken world but it's going to happen so it's best to leave them alone and get it over with.By summer he will be at the top of the pecking order but he's going to pay his dues.

x 2 on the butt kickin but they may not be too hard on him at this age. Pecking order issues are rough in the chicken world but it's going to happen so it's best to leave them alone and get it over with.By summer he will be at the top of the pecking order but he's going to pay his dues.

He already took a whoopin from his mama, so he knows to stay away from adult birds. That's why I'm worried he'll just be all alone hiding in the corner on these cold winter nights. I wish I could've sent one of his brothers with him to cuddle, but no one wants two roos.

He'll be fine, mother nature gave him a better winter coat than either one of us owns. I know a guy that got adopted buy a rooster somehow and the rooster became best friends with this guys dog. For 6 years this rooster wouldn't sleep anywhere but on top of the dog house in rain and snow and made it thru 6 winters just fine.A just for the record this guy would fly straight up tp the top of a tree if you got closer than about 15 feet from him so after a couple of years he quit trying to catch him and just left him food and called him one of the wild birds on his place. So trust me when I tell you your little guy will be ok.

Back
Top Bottom