Just treated with Ivomec Pour-on

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Jasper_899, Aug 4, 2011.

1. Jasper_899

Jasper_899 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 20, 2009
    Alaska
    About 24 hours ago I treated all of my silkies with Ivomec from the feed store (Bantam doses). I have been battling mites for almost a year now. Someone brought an infested bird to the fair show last year and I'm just fed up with these bugs. I dusted the coop, dusted birds countless times, and probably dusted myself while I was at it. Now these mites seem to be immune to the poultry dust. So I did some research and found some Ivomec at the feed store. Its not the eprinex, which is what I originally wanted, but all online stores charge an arm and a leg to ship to Alaska. I just checked my white silkies and I am happy to say that it is working [​IMG] The only bug I saw was in the roos feathers and I didn't find any on the skin, however, my silkies skin is so dry (Dandruffy?) that its almost impossible to see down to the skin on two of my hens. Since I just treated them 24 hours ago would I ruin the treatment if I gave them all a bath with baby soap and scrubbed that dry skin off?
    If someone could give an answer quickly that would be much appreciated.
    Also, do I need to dose them again in a certain number of days to kill any remaining eggs that might of hatched?
    We never eat the silkie eggs so there is no worry about egg withdrawal time for us.

Thanks! [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 4, 2011
  2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Quote:If it was the ivermectin pour on, (blue in color and smells like alcohol) then yes, you can bathe them. Ivermectin pour on is quickly absorbed into the bloodstream, it does not stay on the skin. You'll need to redose in 10 days. It will all be useless if you dont get rid of the mites in their coop. I recommend sevin dust or Adams products to get rid of them.

3. Jasper_899

Jasper_899 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 20, 2009
    Alaska
    I am no longer keeping them in the coop with my layers. They will be in the garage with an extra large metal dog crate all winter long. Last winter they did great out in the coop, but I felt like I wasn't giving them the attention that silkies need to thrive (Baths every month, nail trimming, crest trimming ect.). I moved them into their crate at about the same time I treated for the mites. I did dust their bedding with the poultry dust, but again I feel that stuff is useless against these mites. If I spray the bedding with Adams Flea and Tick Spray will that do anything? I read it has the same ingredients as the poultry dust, but I didn't actually compare the active ingredients. I just don't want to spend anymore money on treatments that wont work.
    My layers are infested with the mites, but not nearly as bad as the silkies were. The silkies just don't do "normal" chicken things such as dust bathing and preening as much as my standards. As a precaution my mother has offered to buy the safer ivomec eprinex for my layers just because we eat their eggs and she would prefer that I didn't treat them with this other pour-on.

Thanks for the reply!

4. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by