Just venting.... younger girls not laying

ThinkingChickens

Songster
8 Years
Feb 18, 2011
I'm just venting because my younger set of girls are STILL not laying. They are 32 weeks, not molting and totally ready based on looks. Only one of the three is doing the squat (the RIR) so I thought for sure she would lay. Nope. Since they coop separately from the big girls (they free range together then put themselves to bed separately) I wasn't sure which box they'd use to lay. I put a fake egg in their nest box and the other, bigger girls are showing them how it's done in the first nest box. Nada. You'd think with these three breeds I'd have eggs (RIR, BO and Australorp). Anyway, just venting my frustrations as my other girls laid from 18-19 weeks.

Same here.Read my story.My RIR started the squat and I observed her walking around. She looked like she needed to lay an egg. So I went to the nest house and the curious girls followed. I coached her to come in.She hopped right in and got right down to business getting comfy in the nest. She has been laying little brown eggs every other day since. Except a softy under the roost today....
hu.gif

I'm in that boat. I got an Americana (nobody yell at me - I don't know if she's an Americana, or an Americauna, or an Amerucauna......I got her at my feed store. That's all I know)
wink.png
I got her in the early spring, and she's STILL not laying. She's my 7th bird, and the other ladies have been laying for over a year now, so at least it's not "The wait"....but it'll be my first colored egg, so I'm getting impatient. Good luck.

I know that jersey giants and BO normally take longer than other breeds to start laying, and I'm unsure about australorp but I assume since Orp is the parent breed that they might take longer too. They'll eventually lay though. I have a black Orp that waited until she was 37 weeks. And now I have a barred rock that is something like 28 weeks and still hasn't laid an egg.

Know how you feel, I have 3 BO's, 2 RIR and an EE that are 27 weeks and NO eggs. They look good, combs red but small, faces red, going into the boxes to look around, but no egg. My WL have been laying since Oct 4th, I thought for sure they would be a few weeks later!!!!

I'm pretty sure my JG is a Black Star because A. she started laying at 19 weeks, B. she's about a year old and is one of my smaller birds and C. her coloring can easily be confused. I don't blame my breeder, but since she had Black Stars in with the JG's I think we had a mix up. Ha ha

As for the BO and Australorp it's good to know they are normally late layers. As for the RIR, I always thought they were terrific and early layers. Darn her! At least we have enough eggs for our family. From our six girls we are getting two eggs a day. We were of course getting an egg a day from the mature girls all spring/summer so they are normally good layers. Grrr.

I have a Barred Rock that's been laying since 22 weeks, black star started at 27 weeks and now either my GL Wyandotte or BO has finally started at 31 weeks! The other two are an EE and either the BO or GL Wyandotte and they are also 31 weeks and still not laying. I bet yours will start soon. I know it seemed like forever for them to start, especially when I'm always reading about everyone's starting at 18 weeks. Lol!

Back
Top Bottom