Just verifying breed before rehoming this little guy.. ;)

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by featherz, Nov 5, 2010.

1. featherz

featherz Veggie Chick

Mar 22, 2010
    Saratoga County, NY
    Pretty sure this is a roo already so that's not my question - is this a cochin for sure? Anyone see anything mixed in there with him? He was not hatched from my eggs, so I can't be sure what was going on 'behind the scenes' as he's the only bird like this that hatched. The other eggs in the lot were marans - blue/splash and cuckoo. 4-H may take him but even if only PQ, they prefer not to take mixes. If he's a mutt, I'll rehome him on craigslist. He's about 7 weeks old.

And would this color be blue or gray?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    looks to be a blue cochin roo to me:) [​IMG]

3. featherz

featherz Veggie Chick

Mar 22, 2010
    Saratoga County, NY
    Thanks nat! He's getting big enough now that I think I can rehome him before he starts tangling with my silkie roo. [​IMG]

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I'm not strong on id'ing feather footed breeds, but aren't cochins supposed to have rounded rumps, looking like a puffball?

5. wood&feathers

wood&feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 22, 2009
    E. KY
    ...and aren't some Marans feather legged?

6. fiberart57

fiberart57 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2009
    Colorado
    He's got an awful sweet face. Is he pretty friendly? I hope someone can give him a good home.

Mary

7. mtcookie

mtcookie Dances with Chickens

Mar 17, 2009
    Santa Cruz
    he looks like a hatchery blue cochin. I love my cochin roos. They are sweet as pie and are lay crowers. [​IMG]

8. featherz

featherz Veggie Chick

Mar 22, 2010
    Saratoga County, NY
    I was tempted to keep him, but I have a silkie I'm pretty sure is a roo also. I'm waiting to see just how loud the crowing is and if my neighbors can hear it from our coop (coop is set back about 2-3 acres from neighbor).. Plus I'll see if he's mean. So far he's fine, but he's a young'un. [​IMG] Not what I would calll FRIENDLY, but that's because I am never home these days, plus I keep reading if you pamper the roos too much they end up as meanies. He isn't picking on the others with him (5 silkies and 4 other pullets).

I am pretty sure the lady I bought the eggs from does not have SQ stock, so I am guessing that a hatchery could have provided her parent stock, so that's completely likely.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2010
  9. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Quote:have to say my SQ black cochin roo was a dream roo..sweetest thing ever... Patrick:) I sure do miss him-I sold him at PA chickenstock:-( I should have kept him!

10. Kassaundra

Kassaundra Sonic screwdrivers are cool!

Sep 1, 2010
    Henryetta
    Quote:Did you mean late crower?, If so is that common among cochins? I would like to find a breed of larger birds (dual purpose/meat) that is a late crower, that is why I asked.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by