Just verifying breed before rehoming this little guy.. ;)

featherz

Veggie Chick
13 Years
Mar 22, 2010
Saratoga County, NY
Pretty sure this is a roo already so that's not my question - is this a cochin for sure? Anyone see anything mixed in there with him? He was not hatched from my eggs, so I can't be sure what was going on 'behind the scenes' as he's the only bird like this that hatched. The other eggs in the lot were marans - blue/splash and cuckoo. 4-H may take him but even if only PQ, they prefer not to take mixes. If he's a mutt, I'll rehome him on craigslist. He's about 7 weeks old.

And would this color be blue or gray?

51848_p1010108.jpg

51848_p1010110.jpg

I'm not strong on id'ing feather footed breeds, but aren't cochins supposed to have rounded rumps, looking like a puffball?

I was tempted to keep him, but I have a silkie I'm pretty sure is a roo also. I'm waiting to see just how loud the crowing is and if my neighbors can hear it from our coop (coop is set back about 2-3 acres from neighbor).. Plus I'll see if he's mean. So far he's fine, but he's a young'un.
smile.png
Not what I would calll FRIENDLY, but that's because I am never home these days, plus I keep reading if you pamper the roos too much they end up as meanies. He isn't picking on the others with him (5 silkies and 4 other pullets).

I am pretty sure the lady I bought the eggs from does not have SQ stock, so I am guessing that a hatchery could have provided her parent stock, so that's completely likely.

Last edited:
Quote:
have to say my SQ black cochin roo was a dream roo..sweetest thing ever... Patrick:) I sure do miss him-I sold him at PA chickenstock:-( I should have kept him!

Quote:
Did you mean late crower?, If so is that common among cochins? I would like to find a breed of larger birds (dual purpose/meat) that is a late crower, that is why I asked.

Back
Top Bottom