Just want some reasurance.

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by oesdog, Sep 8, 2011.

1. oesdog

oesdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2010
    Ireland
    I was asked to look at Green Fire farms for a friend who wants to get Orpingtons.
    Well I don;t know that breed as we don't have them. I was a bit shocked to find on their Orpington page a pic of a bird that looks very like my Bertha!
    My Bertha is supposed to be a Red Speckled Sussex. ?????????
    Here she is :
    [​IMG]
    Here is her Roo boy Chick Who I think looks very like he is a Red Sussex Roo boy????
    [​IMG]

Here is the Green fire Farm Page with the Orp pic?
    http://greenfirefarms.com/store/category/chickens/orpingtons/

Please tell me my Bertha is a Red Speckled Sussex -???????????????????????????? I don't want an Orpington!!!!!!!!!!!![​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Oesdog

Last edited: Sep 8, 2011
  2. Lothiriel

Lothiriel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Aug 30, 2007
    New York State
    My Coop
    She surely looks like a Speckled Sussex. If you didn't get her from the Green Fire place I'd say that's what she is. She doesn't look "fat" enough to be an Orpington. Orpingtons are a hefty breed in general.

She's beautiful, btw! [​IMG]

3. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Why do you not want an Orpington? [​IMG]

But yes, yours is a Speckled Sussex. Way too small to be an Orpington, however, Orpingtons from hatcheries like her honestly don't look any different except color.

4. kidcody

kidcody Overrun With Chickens

Bertha's beautiful! I love the Speckled Sussex, Jubilees Orpingtons are very different from the Speckled Sussex the color is similar, the body types are way different. Jubilees are HUGE, and very docile (nothing bothers them) My favorite hen is a Speckled Sussex she acts more like the Jubilees. I have both breeds and love them!

[​IMG]

5. oesdog

oesdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2010
    Ireland
    Thanks Bertha is very big by the way perhaps the photos don;t show this very well!!!!

She had a very bad leg injury this summer and has been hobbling eversince. She is my best girl and very docile and loving. She never stopped brooding her chicks until they were well over 18 weeks. The lad Big Red roo boy was sadly distroyed by his new owners who promised us they would never kill him!
    He was a beautiful boy. I have nothing agains Orps I just didn;t want her to be one! I wanted her to be what I was led to believe she was!!!!! I love Sussex and Marans!

Oesdog [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 8, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by