Just want to be sure. ;)

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Bex, Nov 9, 2008.

1. Bex

Bex Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 12, 2008
    Virginia
    These are the chooks we got from the auction yesterday..

Boogers [​IMG] is a barred rock hen (Was $8 too much?).. Quick question - is it normal for a hen (or barred rock specificly) to have 2 nails coming from her back toe?
    [​IMG]

Then the "Top Knot" pullet (got her for $4).\\
    [​IMG]

Then we got 3 pullets who look almost identical that we got for $1 each. They're really sweet - they were eating out of my hands this morning.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So does everyone look like pullets? I think so.. Any idea on the last 3 breed?

Thanks!

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

HE isn't a Barred Rock, he's a Dominique (rose comb),or a cross. The others appear to be pullets, but I wouldn't swear to it. And two nails isn't normal. sometimes they'll have the skin under the nail become thickened and enlarged, but two nails? Nope, not normal. The last one, I'm not real sure about the sex, though. Are the saddle feathers pointy? Did you quarantine them?

Last edited: Nov 9, 2008
  3. Bex

Oct 12, 2008
    Virginia
    Yes, they are being quarantined. And no, this isn't where the toe has become enlarged, this is actually 1 toe, with two nails on it, both feet are like that..

So is "she" a he..? Great.. I paid $8 for a rooster..?? [​IMG]

4. speckledhen

Yes, she is a he, definitely. I see stringy, shiny hackle and saddle feathers.

5. Ducklove334

Ducklove334 Off to another pond

Nov 4, 2008
    Virginia
    Quote:oh well. even if Boogers is a he, I'll set him up in his own pen with a couple good looking Barred,dominque...whatever...girls [​IMG]

6. Bex

Oct 12, 2008
    Virginia
    Is there any way possible that the Dominique IS a hen/pullet? All the Dominique cockerals/roosters I see have large combs.. [​IMG]

If it's really and truly a rooster.. it better lay some gold eggs for $8. [​IMG]

7. speckledhen

Sorry, I've never seen a pullet with pointy, shiny hackle and saddle feathers. I'm sure someone else will give you an opinion on these soon.

8. Bex

Oct 12, 2008
    Virginia
    I'm not saying you're wrong Speckledhen, I'm just bummed. [​IMG] I thought for sure it was a hen.. At it's size, if it was a roo I was sure it would of had a bigger comb and spurs, but it has a small "flattish" comb and the smaller spur bumps than my little mix chickee tator, lol.

9. speckledhen

They dont begin real spurs till about 8 months old and that bird isn't that old yet. I hope I'm wrong, but I think I'll stick with my cockerel assessment for now. Let me know if he/she lays an egg, LOL! [​IMG]

10. Bex

Oct 12, 2008
    Virginia
    Oh, 8 months? Can't you tell I'm still learning? [​IMG]

Yeah, I guess laying an egg would be a good sign.. and it would be even better if it WAS a roo and did lay an egg.. We'd be rich and I would share it with all the BYC members, [​IMG].

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by