Just Want To Make Sure (Bakersfield, CA)

Discussion in 'Local Chicken Laws & Ordinances (and how to change' started by Stewie21, Apr 21, 2011.

1. Stewie21

Stewie21 New Egg

Apr 21, 2011
    I really love animals so I was wanting to get 2-3 hens to keeps as pets but I just want to make sure it's legal to keep them in the residential area of Bakersfield, CA. I did look at the Municode website (I saw it in the F.A.Q. section) but I couldn't find any clear answers.

I did find this when I was searching online:

Bakersfield, CA. Municipal code 6.08.010: Any chickens must be "kept securely enclosed in a yard or pen at all times."

which leads me to believe that it is legal to keep them as long as they are enclosed if a fenced area.

Can any of you verify that it is legal to keep them in the city of Bakersfield?

Thanks [​IMG]

2. gmendoza

gmendoza Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2010
    Rock Hill,SC
    Seems to be the law.Keep them securly in your yard,or coop run at all times.

I remember living in Bakersfield. Kuzz country music home of Buck Owens.Bakersfield- the armpit of california.No i didnt like living there. [​IMG]

3. Stewie21

Stewie21 New Egg

Apr 21, 2011
    Quote:That's great! [​IMG]

I'll probably be getting some in June then. [​IMG]

I remember living in Bakersfield. Kuzz country music home of Buck Owens.Bakersfield- the armpit of california.No i didnt like living there. [​IMG]

I agree.

I don't like living in Bakersfield either.

Thanks for the help!​

4. bashedinfender

bashedinfender New Egg

Apr 11, 2012
    Looks like our fine Bakersfield city "leadership" have changed the fowl ordinance for our "protection". Chickens are no longer allowed in R-1 Zones, only R-S and there are almost NO R-S zones in Bakersfield. I am so glad they are looking out for our best interests...

Here is the new ordinance;

6.08.010 Keeping prohibited—Exception.
    It is unlawful for any person to keep or have under their care, custody or control, either as owner or otherwise, any chickens, ducks, geese, or poultry or fowl of any kind whatsoever, within the city, unless same are kept securely enclosed in a yard or pen at all times and that the property is within an agricultural zone or residential suburban zone, as said zones are defined in Title 17 of this code. (Ord. 4655 § 1, 2011; prior code § 9.02.010)

5. fudgesam

fudgesam New Egg

May 2, 2012
    looks like our wonderful city of Bakersfield has made it impossible to have a few chickens in the city!! Even if your children is doing a 4h project!! I recently had a visit from code enforcement and they are giving us 12 days to remove the chickens or it could cost us $1135.00 !!!!! So ridiculous my child is so upset over this new law of theirs as I am. This was his animal project for the great Kern County Fair!!

6. bashedinfender

bashedinfender New Egg

Apr 11, 2012
    You know, this is a lot like the 2 garage sale a year limit they impose here as well. I just can't imagine the reasoning behind the chicken ordinance change. Sorry you are being forced to get rid of your birds, I am just glad I checked on the ordinance before I bought any. I wonder if we could gin up a grass-roots backyard chicken movement here...

7. MsPicklebottom

MsPicklebottom Out Of The Brooder

May 7, 2012
    wait I am confused everything I have read says you CAN have chickens here as long as you keep them in your yard at all times????

:/

8. cary 1973

cary 1973 Chillin' With My Peeps

i would go down to animal controll and ask them they would be able to tell you and clear up confusion

9. fudgesam

fudgesam New Egg

May 2, 2012
    The city does not allow chickens at all in a R1 Zone which is basically the whole town! It is a ridiculous law! We can have a pygmy goat or a pot bellied pig in our back yard according to the city but NO Chickens! This is from the city of Bakersfield code enforcement officer! Shame on the city for preventing 4h projects or ffa projects to keep our children busy with a hobby Which is also giving them responsibility! We were told to contact our city supervisor to complain to try to get this law changed!So people of Bakersfield please call to complain so our children can do fair projects! Otherwise the city wins! Cause my childrens projects had to be moved from our home and they were all hens and not noisy! I had had them for 17Months and my closest neighbor never new when he found out one day talking to my child the next thing I knew we had been turned in by someone! Kinda made it obvious who do it! Please people calll your city supervisor!!

10. fudgesam

fudgesam New Egg

May 2, 2012
    Just for your info it is the city of bakersfields planning commsioner office that handles the ordianance

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by