Just want to say, Aloha from Hawaii!

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by April Fountain, Dec 18, 2008.

1. April Fountain

April Fountain Out Of The Brooder

Dec 17, 2008
    Hawaii
    Aloha from the Big Island.[​IMG]
    I am new to any kind of forums but this site seems so friendly that I have decided to give it a go and say hi. I live in a rainforest area of the Island, sometimes with my husband who is a sailor and therefore is gone a lot. So usually it's just me, 2 roosters (one who is becoming a problem child), 1 older (about 5 years old I think), RIR who still is a good layer, one very old banty hen who mainly sits in her box, 2 unidentified chickens that hardly produce any eggs, and 8 young (about 5 month old) Rhode Island Reds that I call the Dixie Chicks (cause they came from Texas!!) lately I just call them "The Football Team" because they run like crazy when they see me or any human. [​IMG] They are free range on our property and lately have been roaming quite far afield which is a bit worrysome. They always seem to come home though and so far none of the neighbors have complained. My husband during one of his brief times at home built them a chicken coop which I'm having some design problems with right now, but i'll check around on this site and see if I can find some answers to my questions first. Let me just say that I LOVE MY CHICKENs, even if they are poop monsters. Man can they ever poop! I had no idea until we had this coop that I have to clean out every morning. [​IMG]
    Ok this is getting too long now so I'll say goodbye and Alllllloha.
    April Fountain- near Pahoa on the Big Island of Hawaii.[​IMG]

2. cjeanean

cjeanean Can't Decide

Mar 5, 2008
    Missouri
    [​IMG]

3. PortageGirl

PortageGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

How nice to meet you!! [​IMG] Welcome to the coop!

4. KellyHM

KellyHM Overrun With Chickens

Sep 10, 2008
    Lakeland, FL
    [​IMG]

And might I just say that I am JEALOUS! I have been to Hawaii (Oahu) once and it was beautiful...I can't wait to go back one day when I can afford it! [​IMG]

5. redoak

redoak Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Russia, NY
    [​IMG]

6. hoosier

hoosier Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG]

7. peepsnbunnies

peepsnbunnies Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2007
    Central Florida
    [​IMG] Welcome to BYC! We are glad you are here! [​IMG]
    We would love to see pics of your chickies.

Lisa [​IMG]

8. Dandelion007

Dandelion007 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 7, 2008
    Durant, OK
    [​IMG]

[​IMG] One day I plan to visit Hawaii. Looks so beautiful.

Since your husband is a sailor, I foresee a certain woman becoming more and more carpenter like as time goes by and chickens accumulate. BYC and chickens are addictive. Many of us have acquired the skills while waiting for a man. [​IMG]

Thanks to you and your family for serving our country. [​IMG] I know it can be difficult. I've been there. You'll find much support here.

9. Jena

Jena The Welsh Witch

Nov 2, 2008
    Cardiff
    Welcome,

You will find good answers for your problems here, and we will look forward to seeing your chickens and your beautiful island.

Enjoy the journey around the site and you will make new friends here.

Jena.

10. Pumpkinpup

Pumpkinpup Poultry Princess

Jul 16, 2008
    North-West Georgia
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by