Just want to share a special photo

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Wynette, Jun 11, 2008.

1. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    I have a pullet with severe crossbeak; I held her back when I put her sister & brother in with the adult flock because she was much smaller, due to difficulty eating. When I had a new hatch, I put the babies in with her, and she's been a real sweetheart of a girl with them. The babies are now almost 8 weeks old, so they sure don't need any mothering at this point. But, in this picture (which was taken with my cell phone, so the quality is pretty bad - sorry), she's on the middle rung of the roosting ladder, and has her wing over top of one of the chicks. It could be coincidental, but this chick was very very sick for a long time...anyhow, just wanted to share:

[​IMG]

2. Redfeathers

Redfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2007
    Gervais OR
    Wow. I love that. Thank you for sharing.

3. Heidi

Heidi Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2007
    Northwest Michigan
    Awwww.... that is so sweet. Thanks for sharing.

4. AllChookUp

AllChookUp Will Shut Up for Chocolate

May 7, 2008
    Frozen Lake, MN
    Wynette - I looked in the chicken glossary, but didn't see "crossbeak". Is it exactly what it sounds like. Your cell phone picture isn't quote clear enough to tell.

5. Wynette

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    Yes, the crossbeak issue is a tough one. This one didn't develop it until she was 2-3 weeks old. At that point, she was doing fine & eating, and so we decided not to cull her. If she'd been a cockerel, she would have beel culled, but since she should be able to lay for me, we decided to give it a chance. She takes a bit of extra work (deep dishes so she can scoop feed up, etc.), but she's such a sweetheart, I'm sure glad we gave her an opportunity!! [​IMG]

6. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
    That picture is so precious. Sounds like she's doing well and is a keeper.

7. Wynette

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    Hi, Chirpy! Yes, I think she'll do fine. I had a big scare with her last week due to her crossbeak, but I think I've got that resolved, or am close to it. I left her in with this batch of chicks, hoping that leaving her on chick feed longer would help her growth a bit. I don't want to put her on layer feed yet; she's still quite small. [​IMG]

8. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Winette, that is a touching pic and story. Brings tears to my eyes.
    I have a debeaked hen. I have done everything to make her life happy. She has even learned how to catch bugs. She went broody a week ago, and I let her keep the eggs. I know she'll be a good mom. She is really special.
    I make her a good treat every day. I mix oatmeal, feed, and yogurt together making a thick mash, and she gobbles it down. Your crossbeak may have an easier time getting mash as a treat, and put some weight/size on her as well.

9. Wynette

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    Thanks for the suggestion, Seminolewind! CB loves oatmeal, and I know it would be great for her. My only issue is separating her in order for her to eat and the others to not gobble it down. She gets very agitated when she's separated. I'll continue trying, though, as I know it would help. Thanks so very much! Every day I see her, I smile and am SO thankful we didn't cull her! [​IMG]

10. farmgirlie1031

farmgirlie1031 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2008
    IA
    That photo is precious. I hope she does okay. It looks like you have a keeper loving hen there.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by