just wanted to say hello

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by mrhill, Jan 6, 2013.

1. mrhill

mrhill Out Of The Brooder

Jan 6, 2013
    Hello, BYC. My name is Mike. I have been married to my lovely bride for over 19 years. We have seven kids (yes, they are all ours). My bride decided she wanted chickens, so thats where I come in. I have been reading and google chickens every since. I stumbled across your website and absolutely love it. You all have created a great community. How ever, I believe that I may be in over my head. I don't know what type of chicken or how many to start with or how big to build our coop. We use between 5 or 6 dozen a month. The chickens need to be somewhat easy going because we have a troop of small kids. I would really appreciate any info to make our decision easier.

2. willowbranchfarm

willowbranchfarm Chicken Boots

Oct 3, 2011
    Virginia
    My Coop
    [​IMG] Glad you joined. [​IMG] I come from a big family too.

From my experience Orpington and Australorps are great. They are duel purpose breeds, they lay very well, and if you ever wanted to they are good for eating. They are very sweet and docile too. Check out the Learning Center here on BYC. Good Luck!!!

3. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Hello and welcome to BYC [​IMG] Well, I think you should start with the Coops section for some fabulous coop designs and plans and let your bride check out this chicken chart to see what breeds are available, their characteristics and egg colours:

http://www.ithaca.edu/staff/jhenderson/chooks/chooks.html

And both of you have a browse through the Learning Center here for an introduction to chickens. Have fun and if you have questions or need help just yell. We're here... [​IMG]

4. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    [​IMG]

5. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Mike, welcome to BYC. One recommendation - with really small children don't keep any roosters. Good luck with your endeavor.

6. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG]

7. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, mrhill, and [​IMG]! Pleased you joined us! You have asked some good questions. You will get as many answers about "the" breed to get as there are breeds - everyone has their favorite. I concur with sumi's advice about checking out the chicken chart. Good luck to you and your birds!

8. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan :D

Love the Henderson Chicken Chart. I find my Basques (Euskal Oiloa) to be personable and good layers.

X2 about the rooster.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2013
  9. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama. Glad you joined us.

10. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Welcome to BYC!!
    [​IMG]
    Glad you joined us!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by