Just wanted to say thanks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Joanna_K, Aug 12, 2011.

1. Joanna_K

Joanna_K New Egg

Aug 12, 2011
    Hi all,
    I am new to chickens, just got my little backyard flock of hens started at the first of June. I've been reading and learning so much on BYC, and so appreciate the information on this site.
    About 5 weeks ago, my 10 month old Buff Orpington went very, very broody. Her first time, and mine as well. A friend had fertile eggs and gave me 10 for this little hen to set. I would read BYC posts for hours: how to candle the eggs, how to make sure the hen ate and drank, what a safe nesting area for her would be, how to be patient while the chicks peeped and then pipped and then hatched. Honestly, I don't know how I could have done it with out you guys.[​IMG]
    So, on August sixth, my first chick hatched. On the seventh, seven more hatched. Then one more came on the eighth, followed by the last (very, very late) one on the ninth. Mama and babies are doing great. She's a natural, protective but not aggressive, and the little ones are thriving.
    I want to thank you all for the info and help that you've given me this past month. And also, in a situation that was brand new for me and this lovely hen, I didn't feel alone.
    Sincerely, thank you.[​IMG]

2. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

[​IMG]

What a great first post.

Imp

3. dldolan

dldolan WineNChooks

Aug 11, 2010
    Sonoma County, CA
    Wow! That is how I have felt many time since finding this forum! Thanks for the story of your broody and congrats!

4. ThePigeonKid

ThePigeonKid Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2010
    Ohio - Chickens 3yrs
    [​IMG]

5. Kaeta44

Kaeta44 Chillin' With My Peeps

Well done for taking the time to check what you needed to do. Some people just buy chickens and other pets without bothering to find out anything at all about their needs.

http://muckycluckers.blogspot.com/

6. turbodog

turbodog Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2010
    Independence, La.
    It is great site isn't it? I've learned a lot here myself.

And: [​IMG]

7. DebbieDee

DebbieDee Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2011
    Boise
    Great story .....

8. 10 point

10 point country boy

Feb 19, 2011
    LaFayette, NY
    [​IMG] from NY

9. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    [​IMG] And congratulations on a great broody experience.

10. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    I have to say to this BYC Community has a wonderful attitude when it comes to newbies and any and all questions asked on this forum. I am so new to chickens that when I had a question all I did was search and WELLA the answer was available or when I posted a question it is promptly answered politely and with no sarcasm that other forums have with this better than you attitude ... It seems that this forum is wonderful and extremely patient when it comes to all who join or are sincerely interested. There is always a helping hand or confirmation as to almost any question asked. I applaud all the folks here that have much more experience than others and are still willing to express an opinion or a solution they have. FANTASTIC!!!!!!

Thanks you for all the help,

Steve Baz....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by