1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Just wanted to share my nesting boxes I built.

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by BrokeFarmerJohn, Mar 9, 2016.

1. BrokeFarmerJohn

BrokeFarmerJohn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2015
    Columbus, Ohio
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 9, 2016
  2. BrokeFarmerJohn

Aug 24, 2015
    Columbus, Ohio
    Made from materials a buddy brought over from left over stuff on a constucture site. Boxes are 13" tall, about 12" wide and 16" deep I believe, just to accomedate the plastic containers which are awsome for collecting eggs and cleaning the nesting boxes out, saw that idea when I did a Google search one day for nesting box ideas.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2016
  3. 7littlegirls

7littlegirls Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2015
    Long Island NY
    Nice! I like the idea of using containers in the nesting boxes.

4. RattleCan

RattleCan Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2014
    Maryland, USA
    This is a lovely idea. I did something similar when I used to keep button quail. I built a wooden cabinet-style shelter with different shelves for different pairs of quail, and then stuck disposable aluminum foil pans that I bought at the dollar store inside of them to use as a liner for the shelves. They were easy to take out and clean and if they ever got too icky from spilled water or anything, I would just change out the pan for a new one. We're building a new chicken coop now and I'm considering this for the nest boxes, but I'm concerned about whether or not the chickens will be as excited for them as I might be. Oh well, I guess if they don't like the containers, you can always take them out!

1 person likes this.
  5. BrokeFarmerJohn

Aug 24, 2015
    Columbus, Ohio
    The EE's use the boxes well, my Australorps don't, they lay on the ground, I will see if the little ladder helps with that. I'm two containers short so maybe I will just add bedding and see if there anymore popular.

[​IMG]

6. RattleCan

RattleCan Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2014
    Maryland, USA
    Well do let us know the results if you try it! I'll have EE and wyandottes in the new coop, so I'm glad the know the EE don't seem to mind.

7. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Whoaaaa!!! How many chickens do you have?!

1 person likes this.
  8. Hokum Coco

Hokum Coco Overrun With Chickens

Dec 6, 2012
    New Brunswick,Canada
    WOW! Great job fine workmanship. You got enough nest boxes for over 100 hens.

9. nposluszny

nposluszny Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2016
    Johnstown, NY
    Yes indeed, how many chickens? I love the idea of those totes in the wooden boxes!

10. Rachele119

Rachele119 New Egg

Mar 5, 2016
    Captain Cook, Hawaii
    Beautiful!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by