Just Wanted to Share My New Treat Recipe

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by ChiknLovnGurl, Sep 2, 2014.

1. ChiknLovnGurl

ChiknLovnGurl Out Of The Brooder

Sep 1, 2014
    So I was just going through my cupboards an found some jars of stuff that I thought I could use to make chicken treats.

I used:
    7 Tbsp raw oats
    6 Tbsp flaxseed - mine was whole (I think ground would work too)
    2 Tbsp quinoa (uncooked)
    5 Tbsp shredded coconut
    4 Tbsp ground/partially ground almonds (unsalted)
    1 heaping Tbsp nutritional yeast
    1 Tbsp brown rice (uncooked)
    1 Tbsp white rice (uncooked)

I just combined all the ingredients in a bowl, put the mixture in a ziplock, and stuck it in my pantry. Now, I just take a couple of spoonfuls out to them in a little bowl, along with their daily allowance of "num-nums" (watermelon, a tablespoon of plain yogurt, some fresh mint or other herbs and, if they are lucky, sometimes - probably twice a week - they get a small handful - 9 to14 - of mealworms). They are so spoiled! I planted a herb garden just for my chickens!

There wasn't any research that I did for this recipe, (other than to make sure all the ingredients are fine for chickens. Turns out, a lot of them are actually very beneficial to their health) I just kinda winged it. Since I just made up the ratio's by following my gut (LOL) I only give 3 Tbsp of the mixture per day to my 6 chickens. So this is not a proven recipe I don't feed them a lot but the ingredients are very good for them and they LOVE it!!!

Tell me what you think! Also, if you have any fun recipes, I would LOVE it if you would share them.
    Thanks!

2. Free as a Bird

Free as a Bird Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2014
    New England
    Your chickens sound like lucky girls! I might make it with the addition of meal worms. My girls love the freeze dried ones!

3. ChiknLovnGurl

ChiknLovnGurl Out Of The Brooder

Sep 1, 2014
    Thanks! :) Good idea, I'll ad them to the recipe... My chickens go nuts over them!!! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by