Just wanted to share what happened +PIC+

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by NoSkiveez, Jul 30, 2011.

1. NoSkiveez

NoSkiveez NoSkiveez Poultry

Dec 27, 2009
    Casa Grande
    My Coop
    About 18 months, laying about 9. My hen has been sitting on a few eggs in the shed for a few days, nothing unusual for her. Today she was on her side. She had an egg buldging from her vent. Her back end was pretty dirty so I washed her off and examined the egg/vent. The tissue at the opening of the vent was black and hardened to the egg (like a scab almost). I used water to soften it. The egg was easily removed with a little help. I didn't try to save it. It fell to the ground. Two more eggs promptly rolled out. Both fell to the ground. All fully formed, hard shelled not larger than average. I put her in a box with some food and water. She seemed relieved immediately. She got up, settled into a new spot...and was dead within 30 minutes.

[​IMG]

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

oh, dear! So sorry you lost her, poor girl. Her system was just too overtaxed by the whole ordeal, I guess.

3. Mtn Margie

Mtn Margie Overrun With Chickens

Apr 7, 2010
    CO Rockies - 8600ft up
    Wow! How strange. So sorry the hen died.

4. DinosRBirds

DinosRBirds Hunted by Moonlight

Feb 1, 2011
    Lake Huron,MI
    Quote:[​IMG]

5. Gersbud

Gersbud Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2007
    Central Michigan
    [​IMG] So sorry to hear about your loss. Never had that happen and hope it continues not to.

6. mkcolls

mkcolls Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2011
    Ohio
    I'm so sorry for your loss. [​IMG]

Thank you for sharing this. I don't know what I would have thought if this or something similar happened to one of ours. This is why I appreciate this forum. Life experiences from others and caring help from all.

7. bird_brain_scientist

bird_brain_scientist Out Of The Brooder

Mar 5, 2011
    Poor thing. I wonder what exactly it was that was the cause of death. Sorry for your loss.

8. wolftracks

wolftracks Spam Hunter

Nov 6, 2009
    Modesto
    I posted a couple of weeks ago about one of my hens.

There was nothing wrong with her 2 days before, but I found her dead and it had probably been a few hours when I found her, because the area you have the pic of was very deep purple.

I'm so sorry you lost your girl too.

9. 1livelychick

1livelychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2010
    Never seen anything like that before. [​IMG] so sorry you lost your hen....

10. Whitewinterwolf

Whitewinterwolf Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    Massachusetts
    Oh god thats horrible [​IMG]
    Im sorry for your loss, her system must have just been to overloaded with the stress and the blockade. Poor thing.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by