Just wanted to thank you guys!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Prareedawn, Oct 11, 2012.

1. Prareedawn

Prareedawn Out Of The Brooder

May 27, 2012
    Before my family got the idea to try and raise chickens, we knew nothing. Well maybe a little as my boyfriend grew up on a farm. However the difference between what his dad did there and what we need to do for our backyard flock is quite large!

So much of what I know and now feel confident about, I learned this site which I found on a random internet search when we got the first babies. We lost our first batch of chicks (dog) and started over.

Yesterday I found our first egg in the window well of the basement window. I would have never looked there had it now been for this site. I just assumed they'd lay in the coop! So then I read on here someone said they keep them penned up until after normal egg laying time.

So I left them penned today until I got home and sure enough! She layed in a box in the coop!!!

I feel a sense of accomplishment today that I can not express in words. I know that would probably sound ridiculous to a lot of people, but in this uncertain world where we are often struggling to put good food on our table I feel very grateful for so much good advice and I cant tell you guys how many times I've come hereto find the answers I need!

I feel somewhat more "equipped"!

Bring on the social unrest, zombie invasion, or whatever apocalypse you might envision. I can be self sufficient!!!!!

This site is great. Thank you everyone. From the bottom of our fuzzy little feather butts!!!

2. loanwizard

loanwizard Chillin' With My Peeps

Congratulations! If you leave them penned up for a few days it trains them to lay in the nesting box.

3. 7 Biddies

7 Biddies Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2012
    NE GA Mountains
    My Coop

I totally agree. Being able to take care of our most basic needs without total dependency on others is a GREAT feeling and fosters a desire to do even more. I mean, if you can't take care of your basic survival needs, what *can* you do? I wouldn't have it any other way.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2012
  4. wastintime202

wastintime202 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2011
    I agree. I love this site. Members are so helpful and I learned more here then any other place I did researched. I never had chickens before, but always wanted them. BYC has helped me raise my first five hens and also this year my three newbies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by