Just wanted to wish all my BYC friends a Merry Christmas!

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by chicken_china_mom, Dec 24, 2009.

1. chicken_china_mom

chicken_china_mom Crazy for Cochins

Apr 24, 2009
    Tab, Indiana
    I know I've been all but a ghost the last few months, but this has been a downright awful year this year and I have a lot on my plate right now, and I haven't had much time to come on here to read the stories and talk to people. I am sorry about that! I started college in October and it's going much better that I had hoped. I am on Christmas break right now and I'm actually looking forward to classes starting back up. I am set to graduate in November of 2010. Plus I home school my girls, I work, and then there is a TON of sutff going on. I will try to be on BYC much more often. Especially as Spring comes and I get new chicks. My birds are all doing well. I split the flock. The standards are out in the coop and the bantams we moved into a room at the back of our basement. However Indie didn't work out with the standards so she is living happily with the bantams and has been accepted by them. We did lose a few birds as winter set in, but everyone is healthy now and doing well. We got a new dog too. A lady at work had to downsize her brood as she had 9 dogs! I had just found homes for the two puppies my kids had brought home over the summer and we were just starting to heal after losing our little Sweet Pea when she approached me and asked me if I might be interested in giving one of her dogs a home. We took in the dog, a Pomeranian named Nikki, and she has fit into our family so perfectly, as though she had always been here, and is one of the best dogs I've ever had. My chi's even accepted her right away! Nikki is 5 years old and at some point in her past she had been abused by a man, so she is scared of men, but we are a house full of women, so she fit in here perfectly! My younger daughter who was still crying herself to sleep some nights after losing Sweet Pea who was her best friend was thrilled when Nikki latched right onto her. She and Nikki are almost inseperable now, and my daughter has cried herself to sleep only once since we've had Nikki. We rescued a bunch of kittens over the summer and into the fall, and we still haven't found homes for the ones that we were looking to find homes for, so it looks like they may be living with us permanently. Oh well! That's pretty much what's been going on here in the last few months. My 11 year old daughter tried her hand at incubating eggs (she wanted really bad to give me chicks for Christmas), but the eggs didn't develop all the way and the chicks died only a week or so into developing. She had tears in her eyes as we tossed the eggs. I felt bad that she felt bad! She then wanted to order me chicks with the last of her Christmas money, but I don't have a car at the moment to get to post office to pick them up, so we have to wait. I told her she can try to incubate eggs again in the spring. She's looking forward to that. I wanted to say Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all my BYC friends. I hope everyone has a wonderful and blessed day today and tomorrow. [​IMG]

2. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    Thank you for updating us!

Wishing you a Merry Christmas as well!

3. maplesky7

maplesky7 Flock Mistress

Jun 14, 2008
    N. IL.
    Merry Christmas to you and all the other byc peeps too.

humbly,
    Gretch

4. Omran

Omran Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2008
    Bagdad KY
    Merry Christmas to you and thank you for your kidness.

5. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Feliz Navidad!

6. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    I hope you have a Happy Christmas and a Wonderful and better New Year!

7. keystonepaul

keystonepaul Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2008
    Pocono
    Fleece Navyduds as well!!!! Merry Christmas and happy new year to all of you!! Keystonepaul and family

8. Sjisty

Sjisty Scribe of Brahmalot

May 18, 2009
    Brooksville
    God bless us, everyone! Merry Christmas!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by